Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: ICS problems
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:09 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

I'm having problems with my Windows 7 Ultimate machine. It is connects to the world via a Zonet PCI 802.11b/g/n NIC and runs pretty good. However I want to run an ICS bridge through that NIC and the onboard wired NIC. Whenever I connect the wired connection, Windows recognizes the connection and that it does not have internet access going that direction. The problem is that with the wired connection...um...connected I lose all network access. When I unplug the cable to disable the wired NIC everything instantly comes back. The wired NIC is connected to a switchport on an ancient Netgear 802.11b/g router. Any thoughts as to what could be causing this problem?

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 Motherboard
WRT54G Router

Post subject: Re: ICS problems
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:28 am 

One thing you have to be careful w/ is being switched to a *router* on the wired NIC under these circumstances. Remember, ICS sets up its own DHCP server and wants to assign IP addresses in the 192.168.0.x network by default. In effect, ICS is establishing itself as the router for any devices on the other end of that NIC. But you now have a conflict. That Netgear is also a router and has its own DHCP server! Now it's just a matter of luck which router (ICS or Netgear) responds first.

The solution is to either disable DHCP on the Netgear and not use its WAN port (effectively demoting it to a simple switch), OR, patch the wired NIC to the WAN port of the Netgear, that way all switched devices on the Netgear are behind its own WAN port and use its DHCP server (effectively double NAT’d). Personally, I think the simplest solution is the former, but the latter would work as well.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:48 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Turning off DCHP on the Netgear router seems to have fixed the problem. I guess I just assumed that Windows would recognize which way was the right way to go on its own. Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:05 pm 
Million Club [PC]*
Million Club [PC]*

While you did get it working, can I offer a suggestion for the future?
Unless you actually needed to add a NAT layer to the connection (and, there aren't too many valid reasons to do that), ICS isn't what you wanted. ICS is not a bridge - it's a NAT gateway, not unlike a router.
A network bridge (which is just a simple passthru connection - you know, a bridge ;) ) would have been the more appropriate choice. ;)
It's easy to set up, too - just select both network adapters (in Network Connections) > right-click > Bridge connections.

And, if you have equipment on each side of that Win7 box that you want to be able to talk to each other (thru the Win7 box), you might want to change how you have the connections, well, connected.
Keep the DHCP server disabled on the Netgeat router, though, lest it have the same battle with your '54G that it previously did with Windows' own DHCP server (that ICS enabled for the LAN connection.)