Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: question regarding streaming & half-duplex routers
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:54 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

I've got a DIR-655 router from DLInk and have found that it only supports half-duplex. Is this still fast enough to stream HD content (It's a wireless N 300 Mbps router)?
Anyone else done any HD streaming with this router (or a half-duplex router)?

My understanding of full-duplex is that it can send and receive simultaneously whereas half-duplex can only send or receive, but not at the same time.

Post subject: Re: question regarding streaming & half-duplex routers
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:34 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

All wireless routers are half duplex. Yes if you have a good connection with good throughput you will be fine. But there are other variables at play here, like noise/interferrence, security, ect. With out knowing everything going on in your set up, generally speaking N will stream HD.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:49 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

well, if i'm streaming a video to the TV, I don't plan to be using the Internet at the same time, etc. Or if I do, it will be basic web browsing (no video watching on the TV and computer at the same time). I'm using the Cat6 cable with a gigabit LAN port on the serving computer (the computer where the videos are stored). I guess the router does support wireless streaming, but I actually haven't gotten there yet, just running video through the wire from one computer to another and the computer connected to the TV also has a wired gigabit port in it as well.

Now, is the half-duplex thing only apply to wireless or does it apply to both wired and wireless (in the same router)? I thought there were some more advanced routers (from NetGear for example) that support true full-duplex capabilities (didn't MaxPC review one a few months back....???)?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:59 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Your wired ethernet side should be running in full duplex (unless some setting has be changed). So everything in your network will run in full duplex until you are using the air waves (wifi will be in half duplex). For the most part streaming is pretty much all a downstream service, so being able to talk both ways at once not a huge deal. Which security setting do you have set up for your wifi (this can drop you back down to G speeds)?

Also when you say HD are you talking about streaming say netflex HD, or streaming a bluray disc? Most bluray discs have right round 38Mbps and can spike upwards (from what I have seen).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:20 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

If you're referring to the Wireless encryption settings, I"m using the WPA2/WPA automatic mode (detects which mode the target computer can work with and uses that mode). so, basically, WPA2 128bit (Personal). The distance between the router and the TV/receiver unit isn't very far (just across the room which is maybe 10-12 feet away).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:21 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

As for type of content, I"m talking about streaming a Blu-Ray movie which I think would be more data intensive than from the web.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:31 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Are you useing AES for encryption type? If you are then your good for N, if your using TKIP then you won't be able to get above G speeds (TKIP doesn't support higher data rates). Other than that you should be good to go. If you have problems we can look at other things (you could get some interference while running a 40Mhz wide channel in the 2.4Ghz range and need to drop back to 20Mhz wide), but I would test it out and see how it does for you.

Yes a bluray will be more intensive but sounds like your setup is near each other, so you should see good throughput speeds above a bluray's data rate.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:54 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Not sure what I'm using right now, but you're saying that AES allows for higher-bandwidth...? Is it still a secure encryption system (I still want to be able to certain tasks, like online banking, etc, iwthout having to worry about security).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:02 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

AES (Advanced Encryption Standard). It's the best choice you have (and it allows for higher throughput). You make it stronger by using a longer passkey (really a password should be at a min 20 characters in length, then they just take to long to break).

The only think you have to watch out for is legacy product not supporting AES. But if your router can do a guest network you could allow the guest network to use TKIP to support legacy product.

Good password generator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:14 am 
Willamette
Willamette

All of my hardware is (at most) 2 years old, and I think AES encryption's been around longer than that (they all also run Windows 7, with the exception of one that runs Windows XP with the latest updates and service packs).