Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: I just want reliable Internet access
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:44 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

So I used to have Verizon DSL, It was cheap, reliable and decently fast. Last summer the service in my area got transfered to Frontier or something. Ever since then my internet has been a headache. It would be nice if I could just switch providers, but not really any other options besides Comcast (no fucking way), and besides I am only going to be in the area temporary anyway. But lately the way it has decided to torture me is by frequent drops. Internet connection just goes out for a couple minutes, several times per hour it seems. I was just playing Reach on my Xbox and I had to give up on today's challenge 2 kills short out of 150 because I just couldn't get into a game without it dropping and finally just said F this. My network is as follows, a Linksys WRT54G with a desktop and an Xbox hardwired, and 2 laptops wireless connected. The internet will drop simultaneously on a wired Xbox and wireless laptop, so I am pretty sure it is not either Xbox Live or the wireless, leaving the DSL or the router. I am pretty sure my router would not just start randomly disconnecting every now and then out of the blue, so it sounds to me like my DSL is being retarded.

So I am ready to assault Frontier about my crappy DSL. I just want it to work! So first off, does this sound like it is indeed just a crappy DSL provider? Can I get them to get their shit in line? Really just looking for help about harassing a DSL provider into giving me the reliable DSL I deserve.

Post subject: Re: I just want reliable Internet access
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:12 am 
Willamette
Willamette

How old is your Linksys router? Do you have the latest firmware revision installed on it?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:26 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Good call, I haven't updated the firmware since I bought the router however many years ago. Hopefully that was the problem, but something tells me I will still be getting problems from my DSL...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:47 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Could be, but my sister had a similar problem with her Linksys router a few years ago, and a firmware update corrected her problem for about two days. Then the router turned out to be defective after only a little over a year of ownership. Anyway, a firmware update would be the first thing I would do, regardless of whether the router is defective or whether your ISP is at fault. At least you can rule out a hardware problem before contacting Frontier.