Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Setting up VPN
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:44 am 
Phoenix Foundation (Top 10)

Just my luck, having customer call for me to do a job ive never done before. First it was something to do with Exchange, now its something new, but easy.

I have someone who wants a VPN setup. Basicly going to office, configuring it there and teaching a few people how to set it up on remote locations, mainly employees when they go home on there laptops. Broadband connections all the way around and he says the server is running Blackice Defender. I really hope he has a hardware firewall of some kind there as well.

He wants it setup so that employees can access the mortgage software while out on the job or at home.
http://www.calyxsoftware.com/products/index.asp

Seems pretty simple to me. I have never setup a VPN before, but im reading up on it right now and its seems pretty damn simple. So, im here to see if anyone has some tips or tricks they might want to share, or some links to more info on set-up. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:05 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Should be pretty simple. About a year or so ago I worked a bit with a small bank for a similar application.

Here are a couple ways to skin the cat:

1) Allow remote desktop connection to a PC on the Intranet that accesses the mortgage app. You could use VNC (Free) or gotomypc (Pay). Connection can be encrypted.

2) Go with a HW/SW solution. Plop a VPN con behind the firewall...user launches client SW that authenticates and builds a secure tunnel to the VPN con and dishes out a corp IP...its just like the user is sitting at his/her desk at work (as far as access is concerned). SonicWall/Cisco...lots of manu's make this stuff.

I would go with #2 obviously...but all options should be listed since cost is always a factor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:19 am 

VNC was my first thought, lol. Thanks for the tips.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:32 am 

Ok, i have successfully setup a VPN on my computer and setup a client to connect to a VPN on my computer. That was simple. Now i need to test it out. So i think I will configure my laptop as "the company", and plug it into mom-in-laws broadband down the road. Then come back here to desktop and connect to that VPN. Sounds easy enough.

Now the hard part...firewalls. This is going to sound silly, but is there a port or anything like that i need to point to my laptop so VPN requests from the internet make it to my laptop server? The laptop im connecting to will be behind a router, no other firewalls.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:23 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

ricksickle wrote:
Now the hard part...firewalls. This is going to sound silly, but is there a port or anything like that i need to point to my laptop so VPN requests from the internet make it to my laptop server? The laptop im connecting to will be behind a router, no other firewalls.

Absolutely. I think its port 59000. I would double-check with whichever flavor VNC you are using.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:54 am 

VNC uses 5900, but thats not what Im doing. Im going to go with configuring the VPN. Using XP Pro, under network connections, I was able to setup my laptop to receive connections and my desktop to make a connection to VPN. so far I havent been able to get the 2 of them to talk thru my router...ill keep tinkering, gotta be something easy.