Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: DD-WRT?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:18 pm 
Team Member*
Team Member*

Has anyone upgraded or modified their router with this firmware(DD-WRT)? I have a WRT150N linksys/cisco router that gives me constant disconnects on wired and wireless devices and I want to try this but don't want to brick the router. Any feedback would help! :)

Post subject: Re: DD-WRT?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:37 pm 
Hired Gun
Hired Gun

I have used DD-WRT in the past, but don't use it currently. It's a very robust firmware and adds a lot of good features for the advanced user. Just check the supported router list to make sure yours is supported and follow the directions for your router and you shouldn't have any bricking issues. As for fixing your disconnect issues, it may or may-not fix this. There are several reasons why your router may be disconnecting. Overheating is one of the main causes, and a faulty router is another.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:16 am 

Just to add my 2 cents, I've used DD-wrt, but have since changed all my routers to tomato. Tomato is a little easier to use, but DD-wrt has more options.

If your going to put some different firmware on your router, I would first suggest trying the latest firmware from your router's manufacture, and if that doesn't get you what you want, try tomato.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:32 pm 
Team Member*
Team Member*

Hitman wrote:
As for fixing your disconnect issues, it may or may-not fix this. There are several reasons why your router may be disconnecting. Overheating is one of the main causes, and a faulty router is another.
If you have any suggestions I am all ears. The router has not gotten any firmware updates probably due to the fact that there are better routers out there. It doesn't seem to be overly hot by that I mean that it is warm but not hot. If there are any diags I can run let me know! I have tried a 30-30-30 reset and re-setup my settings the issue seems better but not by much.
RandomGuy wrote:
Just to add my 2 cents, I've used DD-wrt, but have since changed all my routers to tomato. Tomato is a little easier to use, but DD-wrt has more options.

If your going to put some different firmware on your router, I would first suggest trying the latest firmware from your router's manufacture, and if that doesn't get you what you want, try tomato.
i have looked for my router in tomato and it didn't show support for it. it was mainly geared towards the 54G routers. thanks though!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:29 am 
Hired Gun
Hired Gun

It can't hurt to try DD-WRT.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:53 am 
Team Member*
Team Member*

That's true I might give it a shot over the weekend not sure yet but thanks for the input! :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:09 am 
Team Member*
Team Member*

Well I decided to wait maybe because I don't want to risk bricking the router however small the chance(I know I'm chicken) I have noticed one thing though my IPv6 connection in my adapters status window shows IPv6 is limited. I think this is because my router is not a dual band is this the reason? I'm using Vista SP2 router is a WRT150N and the adapter is a USB300N.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:50 pm 
Million Club [PC]*
Million Club [PC]*

No, it's not because your router isn't dual-band - that has nothing to do with IPv6.
Rather, the message is due to the fact that you don't have an IPv6 connection to the Internet. In other words, it's not anything to worry about. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:26 am 
Team Member*
Team Member*

I finally took the time out and completely reset everything from the router to the adapter to modem and re-configured it.
Here is something odd I found when setting it up. When I changed the name of the SSID it would loose signal on the wireless end, wired connections were fine. I know that the wireless signal shouldn't change with the SSID but some how it did! :?
Before I go into this however let me first say that everything is back to normal on the wireless end of things and thank you Hitman and rencently cup!

I tried to be systematic about this issue I had when I did the factory reset so that I could find the problem and could explain it better if needed.

After the factory reset I started by closing the network up by changing the signal to N-only, password, encryption, etc.
After I got all of the usual stuff out of the way, and saved after every step, I decided to change my SSID. I kept a close eye on my throughput speed and internet speed. I tested speed at 25% completion intervals. When I changed the SSID to my original name the speed fell out to near dial-up speeds :shock: so I changed it back to linksys. Then I tried a new name and it didn't like that so I left it on linksys for 24hrs. After going to work and coming back I decided to try it again and it held with the new SSID! I'm not sure after all that what the deal was but I thought I would share.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:34 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

The latest dd-wrt releases on my buffalon g300nh are doing the same. There are some problems in the wifi driver they use. If you can use a little older version it is ok, but yeah newest is not stable at all.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:01 am 
Team Member*
Team Member*

Thanks for the info Alex! :)