Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: need help with my wireless network FAST!!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:06 pm 

so im trying to set up a new wireless network with the router we just bought. ive never set up a network without a cable modem before and i dont even know if its possible. our cable connection is just an ethernet plug coming out of the wall so i set up the wireless network using that connection but when i try to connect wirelessly to the new network it wont connect to the internet. its a brand new linksys wireless router and im not sure what the problem is. do i need to get a cable modem to be able to connect...thanks for any help!

Post subject: Re: need help with my wireless network FAST!!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:52 pm 
Million Club [PC]*
Million Club [PC]*

Sounds like an apartment building / complex local internet connection - they're often set up as a big LAN, and often require connection software (or, user authentication on your PC) to access the internet.
This sound like you? If it does, did you have to install software (or do anything else) on your PC prior to connecting it to the network? Any instructions provided by the building/complex?

If this does not sound like you, could you provide any more details?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:53 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

OK, breath...Slow down, relax. We need info. What OS are you using, and it's nice to know what router and Modem/ISP you're using as a bonus.

As a network, the router will let them all talk. But if you're not getting any computer on the internet, that's entirely different. So we really need to get the router to talk to the modem, get one PC on the internet (through the modem), and then worry about a network. Have you tried repowering the modem and router?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:08 pm 

alright thanks for getting back to me so quick! the house is in a college living neighborhood but each house is a standalone unit. i believe the place gets cable from time warner. also each room in the house has an ethernet plug right in the wall. the wired connection works fine. we have a linksys wireless n broadband router..its brand new..one of the sleek black ones. im using a laptop with windows 7 and the first step according to the instructions that came with the router was to run the instalation cd. so i did that and followed the steps and connected the router straight into the ethernet wall jack. the network seems to be up and running and you can find it when you search for wireless networks and you can even connect to it but for some reason it wont connect to the internet. im not sure if we need a cable modem in this situation or what..and i did try resetting the router but that didnt work. hopefully i gave enough info..thanks

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:12 pm 
Million Club [PC]*
Million Club [PC]*

Oh, OK. Sounds like you need to configure the router to, well, not be a router - you need to be running it in "AP-only" mode (wireless access point + 4-port switch; routing functions disabled.)
Here's how:
Cup, several times now, wrote:
Unfortunately, setting up a Linksys router to operate in AP-only mode isn't all that intuitive...
First and foremost, reset the router back to stock configuration (see your user manual for how to do this.)
Setup > basic setup.
-internet connection type: Automatic configuration DHCP
-network setup: local IP address to one on your subnet, but outside of your DHCP range (example: my Smoothwall's DHCP range is 192.168.0.100~199, my WRT54G is set to 192.168.0.254); subnet mask same as your network (default is 255.255.255.0); ignore gateway and local DNS (leave them blank.)
-DHCP settings:
--DHCP type: DHCP server
--DHCP server: disable
Click Save Settings.
Setup > advanced routing.
-operating mode: router.
-Dynamic routing: interface: disable.
Save Settings.
Congratulations! You've set up a Linksys wireless router to operate as an AP + switch only!
And, put a piece of tape over the Linksys' WAN port, so you're not tempted to use it.

That'll get you set up in AP-only mode, and should get you working correctly.