Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: XP file sharing trouble
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:59 am 

I recently did a clean XP Pro SP3 install on a desktop hardwired via a Linksys WRT54G to a home network. I'm running Norton Internet Security on this PC. The network also has 2 laptops (Vista and NIS) and a desktop (XP and AVG).
The desktop in question can access the shared and public folders on the other systems but not vice versa. I'm trying to share a couple of folders and a drive on the desktop. These show up on the other systems as network locations but when I try to access them I get a message "folder not accessible...might not have permission...contact administrator...not enough server storage.
I installed XP with a single account with no password so I figure I have admin permissions. However, prior to the clean install I wasn't getting the select user account screen which I am now.
I've tried setting full access permission to all users and copying the folders and drive to the shared directory. I'm really not sure how any of that works, but just tried all the different things I've read with no luck.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help.

Post subject: Re: XP file sharing trouble
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:52 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

First, I have to note that upon entering the first Vista machine into the XP flooded home, I was all over this section asking for help. It took a bit of legwork on each machine to give with one, so running the Win7 Betas just seemed like an easier way around all this; and it was. IMO, it's about that homegroup password that isn't in XP (Pro, right?). The best I can say, and that ain't much, is to go into the Vista box's Advanced sharing and disable most of the security features. Turn on Network discovery, file and printer sharing, sharing so that anyone with network acces can read and write, and just 40-to-56 bit encryption since there's nothing lower (that I remember). At that point, you still have to deal with a homegroup password. I forgot which way it was, but I believe XP could go into the XP box but the Vista box was dumb.

But I can help you with the log-on screen. First, give yourself a password in user accounts. Make it simple or strong, doesn't matter if you have no password now (I suggest one. One of mine is qwErtY409 and isn't hard to forget for me). Now, since this is XP, run "control userpasswords2". That'll open a GUI where you'll uncheck "users must enter a user name and password...", Apply, then it'll pop open another box for you to fill out what all users should log in with automatically. Enter your account and password you must made up, apply/OK, and you're done. Now when you reboot, no matter who's at the computer, it goes into that account with no user input needed.

Sadly, I don't have a good answer on having Vista or Vista2 network well with XP boxes 100%. I'm a networking mongoloid.