Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: NEW TO NETWORKS
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:29 am 

Ok, i know nothing about networks, and i mean absolutely nothing .... now ive got couple computers in my house which id like to get onto the internet, also, my main computer is right beside my xbox ... and i use Bell highspeed, so my question to you guys, is whats a good bet for a wireless router ? and that has a good distance because my house is a pretty decent size, but speed of the network is my main concern !! there is a special at the local computer they have the D-Link DI-624 is this a decent router ? like i said, speed is a big issue, as well as being able to connect to my xbox ! thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:31 am 
Willamette
Willamette

I really don't like Wireless routers and prefer to run Cat5e or 6 cable instead. Since your saying your main PC and xbox is close to one another, I would get a Linksys BFSer41 and run a cat5e or 6 cable to the other PC.

But if you must go wireless, just about any 802.11g router will suit you fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:56 am 

what about different company's of routers ? is D-Link good ? or does linksys make a better one ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:18 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I have the DI-624 and I love it!!! Most people on this baord are Linksys fans...as I believe that is representative of their market share.

now, the DI-624 claims 108Mbps, which you can get if you sit 3 inches from the router and use your hand to fan the dust out of the air :wink:

I dropped mine down to 54Mbps...and its solid. I stream video to/from my HTPC in my family room, and also roam the house with my laptop.

like InstigatorX said, if oyu can run wired...do it...if you can't...Dlink wireless will do the job!

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:30 pm 

HoOdy, was the DI-624 hard to install and get running ? because in the review that maximum pc had released, they thought that it wasnt that great of a router, because it was hard to set-up and to get the security running with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:37 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

wrx_stud56 wrote:
HoOdy, was the DI-624 hard to install and get running ? because in the review that maximum pc had released, they thought that it wasnt that great of a router, because it was hard to set-up and to get the security running with it.

That's a relative question...I have quite a bit of networking experience so for me no...However I did end up with disconnect problems that resulted in a bad default setting problem (that took me longer than expected to correct).

My previous WAP/router was Dlink and I had good luck with it, AND since I place it in my kitchen (for best coverage) Dlink had the best asthetics...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:22 pm 

anyone else have any idea's for a good wireless network router ? keep in mind I AM A NOOB with networks lol, though i am decent with computers, i have built my own and what not !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:52 am 
Northwood
Northwood

defniitely go with the 802.11G when you go wireless because its backward compatible with the 802.11B and plus, ive heard that you get a bette signal than the B wireless protocol. i have no experience with wireless since my network on my house is still hard-wired.

i like linksys and i recommend them to you. here is a good wireless router from linksys:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 136&depa=1

if you buy the router, get it from newegg. newegg is a great site that provides good deals on computer parts. check it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:17 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

keymaker wrote:
i like linksys and i recommend them to you. here is a good wireless router from linksys:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 136&depa=1

what does the parental control feature do? how does it work? is it like a filter for...say...adult content if configured that way? if so, that's a great feature. would a person still need to get a third party service (i.e. earthlink/aol) for web filtering?

Post subject: Same here...n00b also looking for info...
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:04 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Same here, this topic applies to me as well. I have a computer at home with an SBC DSL modem and I have an ethernet card in my computer. I'd like to run a CAT 5 cable to my new X-Box and set it up so I can use the X-Box live someday in the near future.
What would I need? How much would it set me back if I were to buy the parts & equipment I would need? How do I set it up?

AGN Joe

Post subject: Re: Same here...n00b also looking for info...
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:36 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

A Guy Named Joe wrote:
Same here, this topic applies to me as well. I have a computer at home with an SBC DSL modem and I have an ethernet card in my computer. I'd like to run a CAT 5 cable to my new X-Box and set it up so I can use the X-Box live someday in the near future.
What would I need? How much would it set me back if I were to buy the parts & equipment I would need? How do I set it up?

AGN Joe

you will need a router. it doesn't have to be this one, but almost any should be fine for xbl. other than the extra network cable, that's about it. you'll have to pay a monthly fee for xbl, so i recommend a free solution www.xbconnect.com
it's absolutely free and they continue to improve the software. they support a lot of games too. be sure that you do some connection speed tests to see what you will be capable of (mainly if you plan on hosting games). i have sbc dsl and i'm suppose to be getting 334k or something around that for my upload but still get the previous speed of around 225k.