Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: newbie network setup advice needed
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:43 am 

Greetings all:

I know nothing really about setting up a network or even if that's the right thing for what I need here, so I was hoping someone could give me some advice on the best way to solve this:

I want to connect a desktop PC, laptop, and xbox 360 to single modem (my isp is through the phone company Bell Canada high speed).

Both the PC and laptop have a software firewall and are running Windows XP, and all three devices are in the same room, I just want them to all be connected to the modem at the same time without having to move the single network cable around.

Wireless would be handy for the laptop, but I don't consider it a priority, as I'd rather keep it as simple as possible for now. Can anyone suggest what kind of hardware would be best for this setup?

Thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:38 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

If you want wireless, then a cheap wireless router should do the trick. Without wireless, even cheaper is a small switch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:04 pm 

Thanks kindly, I'll take a look at switches. Not sure what the difference between a switch and a proper router is, but if the simpler one will do the trick, I'm all for avoiding the joys of port forwarding and such!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:23 pm 
Chief Surgeon
Chief Surgeon

A switch won't allow more than one item to access the internet at once. For that, you'd need a router at best. Or, if you add a second Ethernet card to your computer, you might be able to allow Internet Connection Sharing...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:58 am 

Hm.. I would like for the 3 devices to be able to access the internet simultaneously, but I'm .. to be honest.. very hesitant and more than a little intimidated to try and get a router set up. As I say, I know nothing about network stuff, nor do any of my friends (who really, consider me the geeky tech chick! So yeah. that's worrisome).

I'm trying to keep things as simple as possible, because this set up isn't for me, it's for a friend, and I need to be able to give her advice/troubleshooting from a distance. I've tried looking up advice/guides on setting up a router network, but I can't seem to find anything that either A) doesn't assume you're already an expert or B) aren't intended for the most complex setups humanly possible.

Basically, the network I need to create is for one smallish room (about 10 by 12 feet, open square), so I don't think wireless is needed, running cables along the wall should work fine. The three devices I need to connect to it are:

Single PC
Xbox 360
Laptop

My main concern about a router is the myriad of problems I've seen in getting them to play nicely with things like MMO's and voip. I'd like to avoid having problems with connection everytime WoW updates, or she tries to connect to something on xbox live.

Can anyone suggest a good router, or even a good brand name to look for that would suit these needs with as simple a setup as possible?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:24 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Xeath wrote:
My main concern about a router is the myriad of problems I've seen in getting them to play nicely with things like MMO's and voip. I'd like to avoid having problems with connection everytime WoW updates, or she tries to connect to something on xbox live.

Can anyone suggest a good router, or even a good brand name to look for that would suit these needs with as simple a setup as possible?

Any SOHO router will work for you. They are made for the home market and really are plug and play. Your not setting up an enterprise router made by cisco (where you need to know things). Linksys & d-link make good home grade stuff (as does asus, trendnet) and you can get wireless in there cheap (which would be good for the laptop and xbox). The PC you can hardwire or again use the WiFi.

It comes with directions on the setting it up and it's pretty easy. Make sure to change the admin password. Lots of people can help you here if you get stuck, but you shouldn't have to much of a problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:01 pm 
Chief Surgeon
Chief Surgeon

All you would need would be an easy-to-set-up Netgear Router.

Connect the router as per the instructions between the Modem and the PC. Run the Easy Set-Up from the CD.

When the Easy Set-Up is finished, repeat it for the laptop, but if the laptop is wireless, it will put the encryption key in.

Plug the XBox in, and it should be good to go.

Seriously, I could have it all running in about 25 minutes total - after setting up network shares.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:00 am 

Thanks Super, I'll look around at netgear stuff and hopefully it'll be as easy to set up as you say :)