Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Router/Switch Basic Question
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:20 pm 

I have a Linksys WRT54G router that I bought back in 2006. So far it has provided me with great service. Now I need extra Ethernet ports. I understand that I can connect a switch to my router and that will share Internet to the PCs connected to the switch, right? (please correct me if I’m wrong).

The question is that if I’ll still be able to do port forwarding to those PCs connected to the switch. In other words, is it possible to assign those PCs connected to the switch static IPs from the router and forward ports?

Also, I understand that some switches have what it’s called an Uplink Port. With this you can connect it to the router with a regular Ethernet cable instead of a crossover cable. The thing is that when I browse for switches in Newegg, I don’t see the Uplink Port as a feature. I’m interested in this switch. Do you guys think this one features an Uplink Port? Any suggestions for other switch models/brand names are welcome.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Router/Switch Basic Question
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:44 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

rpeiro wrote:
The question is that if I’ll still be able to do port forwarding to those PCs connected to the switch. In other words, is it possible to assign those PCs connected to the switch static IPs from the router and forward ports?

The router will just control everything, whether you're handing everything out via DHCP and using uPNP or statically setting IPs at workstations and port forwarding.

I wouldn't sweat the uplink port. Having one just allows you to use a regular patch to connect another switch...or basically the crossover is built into switch at that port.

In the link you provided, the manual may designate something like port 1 as an uplink port although it's not identified on the switch. If there truely isn't one, then you would use a cross-over cable instead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:27 pm 

furball146,

Thank you for your response. No more doubts anymore :)
I learned something new today!
Will get that switch then.
Thanks again!