Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Who's on my wireless network? Linksys noises?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:13 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

First up, Is there a way to see who's connected to my wireless network? All I know to do is hit CNT+ALT+DEL and look at users.

I'm asking because I have virus like activity IMO. I have a weird noise that I'm not used to. Should Linksys software/hardware make noises???
--------------------
EDIT: I think it's Xfire making the noise:p But I'll leave the following up:
--------------------
One is a swoosh sound like a cheap jet sound. The other is some goofy chime. I've never heard these sounds before the recent Linksys Wireless install. I'm guessing it could be some connection speed/connection strength alert because the speed does change around these sounds. Yes, I've ran adaware and two different AV sweeps (AVG/Norton).
--------------------
And I got my first warchalk! Out on our sidewalk about 50ft from my back door, there's a closed node symbol with "Chumly" written over it. I've now stopped broadcasting my SSID (I thought I wasn't broadcasting it after day1 anyway) and have changed it's name to "netgaer" due to this. LOL...all the other networks I pickup locally are "netgear", So I guess "Chumly" stood out and caught attention. I just put a twist on the spelling. But this is also raising the suspision that someone's leeching.

I've also set 64-bit encryption Enabled MAC filtering, and changed the WEP key. But I've heard to make the SSID unique...why? Doesn't this make you stand out? And i've figured that 128bit encryption still has 8 bits to use that differ just the same as 64bit...so I'll stick with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:18 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Hmm I have not yet securely set up a Linksys router. I know that on my netgear I had to allow specifi MAC address access to the wireless. This I think is a nice feature that was on from the get go on my router. My brother-in-law thought he would bring his laptop and just hop on my internet connection. I told him he would not be able to. He said he could. 45 minutes later I went to check on him and he still was not getting on. Long story short go set some wireless security on the router. Then Joe Bloe driving down the street can not use you connection. Funny I am probably one of the last people that really needs to worry about otehrs using my network. I think I would notice somebody parked on the street. I live in the sticks!!! :lol:

Post subject: Re: Who's on my wireless network? Linksys noises?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:05 pm 
Celeron
Celeron

Chumly wrote:
First up, Is there a way to see who's connected to my wireless network? All I know to do is hit CNT+ALT+DEL and look at users.

Which wireless AP/Router you using? I'm using the WRT54G and all I had to do was to go to 192.168.1.1, click on status, Local Network, and then DHCP Clients table.

Chumly wrote:
I've also set 64-bit encryption Enabled MAC filtering, and changed the WEP key. But I've heard to make the SSID unique...why? Doesn't this make you stand out? And i've figured that 128bit encryption still has 8 bits to use that differ just the same as 64bit...so I'll stick with it.

You should make the SSID unique so that you don't get leeched from people who connect to defaulted SSIDs. Like if someone's wardriving, they can switch to different default SSIDs from major companies or common ones, like "linksys" "netgear" "home" "office". And since you've disabled broadcasting, people can't pick it up automagically.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:14 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

Xman wrote:
Hmm I have not yet securely set up a Linksys router. I know that on my netgear I had to allow specifi MAC address access to the wireless. This I think is a nice feature that was on from the get go on my router. My brother-in-law thought he would bring his laptop and just hop on my internet connection. I told him he would not be able to. He said he could. 45 minutes later I went to check on him and he still was not getting on. Long story short go set some wireless security on the router. Then Joe Bloe driving down the street can not use you connection. Funny I am probably one of the last people that really needs to worry about otehrs using my network. I think I would notice somebody parked on the street. I live in the sticks!!! :lol:

That's funny. While driving through University of Channel Islands, I hopped on and used at least 25 people's connections. The teachers had a million open wireless networks in their houses. I had no problems just hopping on :) It was fun...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:22 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Dood, you got Chaulked! that's funny...kinda :wink:

anyway..I don't have Linksys, but my Dlink has a window when I log into it that displays who is currently connected to the WAP.

I would recommend turning off DCHP (or at least only allowing a range of IPs that equal the amt of PCs you have). I also directly map Mac addrs to IPs. so not only would someone have to guess my SSID, they would then have to spoof my MAC address and then break the encryption.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:43 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

You should run a basic IDS (intrusion detection system) that records all MACs that connect to your WAP. A really simple one is AirSnare (win32), you can set up a safe list of all your MACs that you use and can alert you via email if another mac address connects.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:23 pm 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

my microsoft has a nice little log of activity(ie connect disconnect) look around for one of those and if a computer that isn't your own shows up in the log as a "land attack" or "air attack" then you know it was someone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:10 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus*
Million Club - 5 Plus*

HoOdY wrote:
I also directly map Mac addrs to IPs. so not only would someone have to guess my SSID, they would then have to spoof my MAC address and then break the encryption.

I did that in mine, I enabled MAC filtering (for even the wired network), and then added a bit of encryption. I can say that I've never had anyone use my network without my knowledge, but someone in my area obviously doesn't know... Hmm.... Standard SSID with no encryption... Seems like someone who does not know better.