Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: 100mbps Ethernet vs Wireless N
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:46 pm 

OK right now I have a setup where I have a PC, router and cable modem upstairs which are then connected to little network down stairs behind the TV via a long run of Cat5e cable. All the devices at the TV are 100mbps, so this is not a gigabit network.

Anyway I'm wanting to use a video balun to transmit HD video from living room to an HDTV up stairs. Instead of running another length of cable, which is a huge PITA, I was thinking about converting the network to wireless N and then repurposing the existing Cat5e for the balun. My only concern is whether or not Wireless N is fast enough. If I did this do you think I would notice a major speed difference? Or have reliability problems? Most of the traffic is just internet traffic, which maxes out at 16Mbps. However I do occasionally transfer files from my TiVo to my PC, or vice versa, which can go as high as 90Mbps. Also is there any added latency that I'd notice while playing an XBox 30 or PS3 online?

Thanks,
Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:43 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

Personally, Wireless N is fast. I've used it to transfer huge files over it and streamed some videos without a hitch. As for gaming, no issues at all either.

However, you might want to implement some quality of service to make sure that game traffic has the highest priority.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:47 am 

I actually did some more research and found some information which suggested that powerline networking was better suited for the distance that I'm trying to cover. So I ordered a Netgear AV+ 200 kit. If it doesn't work for some reason I'll return it and get a couple of N bridges and try that instead.

After thinking about it more I'm not sure how much bandwidth I really need anyway. All of the TiVos are networked to each other via wired 100Mbps, so TiVo->TiVo transfer speeds will not change, and TiVo->PC transfers are usually done unattended so I probably wont even notice if they slow down. As long as it doesn't effect gaming performance or Netflix streaming I'm fine. (I have a GamerLounge router which already applies QOS to the XBox)

Thanks anyway for the info.

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:58 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

Wireless N is more of a convenience thing. People with laptops, that kind of thing. I would definitely do power-line if you need more bandwidth.