Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Connecting a small private network to a main network
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:03 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Hi all, just looking for some tips/ideas here to see if what I want is possible.

I have a small private network with a Win2008 server. The server is for deploying Win7 images to my laptops so it has a DHCP and PXE server running on it. DHCP assigns 192.168.0.x IP addresses.

The server has 2 network cards. 1 is currently unused and the other runs to a 24 port switch which my laptops hook up to.

We have our main network as well. The DHCP server on it assigns 10.100.6.x IP addresses on the vlan that my office is in.

What I'd like to do is:

bind the DHCP/PXE on my private network to the network card attached to my 24 port switch

plug the second network card into our main network, enabling my server to access other main network resources

enable the laptops on my private 192.168.0.x network to access the Internet and resources on the 10.100.6.x network

prevent anything on the 10.100.6.x network from picking up addresses from MY server

I'm pretty sure the binding in step 1 should allow step 2 to go off without a hitch. I am guessing that I need to bridge the 2 network cards on my server in order to allow sharing of Internet/network resources but I really don't know if that will allow outside computers to gain IP addresses from my DHCP server. From the view of the main network I would like it to see my server as just another computer and it doesn't interrupt anything, and all my laptops have access to the "outside world"

I am thinking simply setting the firewall on the adapter that connects to the 10.100.6.x network can just be set to block incoming connections and that will do as I need..?

I just want to make sure I'm correct before doing anything and not bring down a network of 30,000 users by accident ;)

Thoughts? Thanks for your time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:52 pm 
Million Club [PC]*
Million Club [PC]*

You're close in your thinking on how to do this. But, bridging the NICs is not the solution - a network bridge is a simple pass-thru connection.
Rather, what you'll want to do is enable ICS (actually, in Server parlance, RRAS) on the server - that will give you one-way separation between the networks (Windows Firewall prevents inbound connections from the 10.100.6.x network; the 192.168.0.x network is allowed outbound connections.)

HTH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:10 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Great, thanks!

Already things are working out very well!