Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Router + Switch - No network access - HELP
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:40 pm 

I was instructed by a couple people from forums to get a cheap ethernet switch for my room. I have comcast cable, running to a D link router, which has a cable coming to my room, which I attached this switch to: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6833166034
I have plugged cables from this switch to my windows 7 pc, my windows xp pc, and my xbox 360...while I have not yet tried the 360, Both pc's do not have internet access. The windows 7 pc says unidentified network, no network access. The XP pc says limited or no connectivity, and does not have internet. I unplug the main feed from router one to switch, and plug it into windows 7 pc, it works fine, so the wire coming from the router is good. Why am I getting this sort of...someone gave me false information and now I"m out ten bucks, feeling, more importantly, I still don't have internet all all my computers at once grrr?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:07 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

So is this s rant or is there a question in there somewhere? :shock:

Which ports do you have things plugged into? Port 1 isn't going to work if you plugged the router into the uplink port.

Also can you diagram out exactly how you have things connected.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:21 pm 

haha no it's supposed to be a question with a little frustration, I have the main feed from the router in uplink, and the the for the computers and xbox's coming out of 1 2 and 3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:26 pm 

well, I must say, that was an unnecessary rant, which was due to ignorance on my part, I switched it to router in uplink, the rest in 2 3 and 4, and now both computers are working. Why is that conflict with uplink and port 1, and why did my other computer, which was in port 2 not work before, just another problem just coincidence I guess?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:02 pm 
Million Club [PC]*
Million Club [PC]*

A quick read of the manual (and, what you've posted), and I'll bet this is what's wrong:
You used a standard ethernet cable between the router and the switch. Since you said that you connected it to the Uplink port on the switch (which is wired as a crossover port), you'll have zero connectivity between the two devices.
Fix: move the connection cable (router>switch) to any other port on the switch, and disregard the Uplink port.

You don't need to use the Uplink port - on that switch, it's internally connected as a second Port 1, but in MDI-X (crossover) wiring.
Why's it like that? Because, well, that switch is too low-budget to do autosensing (MDI/MDI-X) on all ports.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:02 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

struby wrote:
well, I must say, that was an unnecessary rant, which was due to ignorance on my part, I switched it to router in uplink, the rest in 2 3 and 4, and now both computers are working. Why is that conflict with uplink and port 1, and why did my other computer, which was in port 2 not work before, just another problem just coincidence I guess?

No coincidence...it is spelled out in the manual...

Quote:
NOTE TO USERS OF 10/100 5-PORT SWITCH: If you connect a router or additional switch to the Uplink port, then you
cannot use the numbered port next to the Uplink port (port 1X on the 5-Port Switch will be inactive). The two ports are
wired together, so they cannot be used simultaneously.

So you were basically blocking your gateway and DHCP server thus no IP address would be handed out to anything else connected to it. I'd bet if you manually configured IPs though the XP machine and XBox would see each other :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:14 pm 

haha yeah, I guess I got a little crazy, thanks everyone for the help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:13 pm 

You may want to consider getting a slightly bigger netgear or dlink switch if you plan on expanding the number of connections in the future. Both companies sell switches that have autosensing for uplink on all ports.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:07 am 

alright I'll keep that in mind, for now I have one more port, which should fit my needs.