Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Need help with extending my network coverage
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:07 pm 

I bought a Netgear Wireless-N 300 router and I have a friend that wants to connect to it, he can't because the signal he receives is too weak to establish a connection. He is about 50 to 65 feet away from the Netgear, I have a Linksys WRT54g. I was wondering if I could use this router as a repeater so that my friend can connect to my Netgear and if I can how may I set it up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:32 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

Here's a nifty guide: http://www.tested.com/news/how-to-use-a ... twork/298/

Post subject: Need help with extending my network coverage
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:36 am 

yes but he lives across the street about 55 to 60 feet away these instructions are for extending range in the same home

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:11 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I have a WRT54GS that does the wireless in my house, at one point it was in the living room and the signal was strong enough to reach to the guest house which is over 100 feet a way. Then again I have installed some N routers that could barely get signal 40 from them. Building material some types of paints and a lot of glass I have found can cause wireless signal to be horrid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:27 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

If you want to do this right you really want to set up a point-to-point bridge. This will only be used to bridge your two networks together (so you will not access them with you laptop or other devices). So you might as well plan for it to be in the 5GHz band because it's a lot cleaner (can do it with 2.4 GHz).
From the sounds of it you neet to also get some different antennas. I would think a semidirectional would work just fine. I would look at a patch or panel antenna (yagi could work but the other are easier to blend in with your house). Of course then two access points will need to be put into bridge mode as well. This is a general approach, and is probably more involved then what you want to do. Because in the end you need to buy more gear (if your buddy wants free highspeed make him buy the gear).

If your buddies wireless router allows you to change out an antenna you could also take that approach. Pick up a cantenna and change out your buddies antenna on his router (don't do it to your router or you will lose MIMO). Then point it towards your router, try to get it a clean rf line of sight. If all of your antennas can be replaced you could change them all out with higher gain antennas (if they are all the same then MIMO will still work correctly) and maybe get the added range you need (you could also try this with your buddies router or do it to both routers).

Post subject: Univeral Repeater
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:57 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

You could also pick up a repeater. Put it in your buddies house as close as you can towards your house. Then it would repeat the signals (guessing his router would be some other place in the house). Or try the repeater at your house (again guessing you would have some distance between your router and the repeater like router upstairs back bed room, repeater downstairs front den). Asus makes a nice little portable wireless 4 n 1 router that can be a repeater. About $50 on amazon so you could try it out and if it doesn't work you have something you can use when you travel.