Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Problems with a switch and two patch cable.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:39 am 

A few days ago I bought a switch and two patch cable to connect two computers in the same room. But I have problems. If I can play on the computers, then over Windows 7 I can't access the shared files. If I can access the shared files, I can't play a LAN game.

So I have really no idea what's going on. Right now, I can play a Titan Quest LAN game but computer number two can't access via Windows 7 the shared files on computer number one anymore. Computer number one but can access the files on computer number two. Both computers have Windows 7 as OS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:47 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Switches don't have a DHCP server do if you google Dual Server it is a Opensource DHCP server it is on sourceforge if you need help doing a config files PM me.
or
Set a static IP if you know what you are doing is easy if not it is confusing. you would have to do it for the PCs that are hooked up to the switch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:04 pm 
Million Club [PC]*
Million Club [PC]*

There is a simpler way. ;)
I'm guessing that PC 1 is connected to your LAN, and PC 2 is not (if you delete the switch), yes?
Simple fix, makes all your problems go away: bridge the network connections on PC 1.
Howto: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... ork-bridge
End result is that there's a pass-thru connection from NIC1 to NIC2 on PC1, allowing PC2 (connected thru the switch) to be on the same LAN.

Of course, this begs the question: why not simply connect the switch to the LAN, and connect both PCs to the switch? That would be simpler still....
The only reason that I can think of to not do that is if PC1 is on a wireless connection, and there is no option to bring a wire to the location.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:59 am 

cup wrote:
Of course, this begs the question: why not simply connect the switch to the LAN, and connect both PCs to the switch?

Actually this was the idea. Both computers are already connect to the switch, but how do I now connect the switch to the LAN? How to configure the switch under Windows 7?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:12 am 
Team Member
Team Member

download Dual Server http://sourceforge.net/projects/dhcp-dns-server/

you would only have to set a static IP for 1 computer then any other PCs that get hooked up to the switch will get a automatic IP assignment.

If you need help with the Config file just PM me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:59 pm 
Million Club [PC]*
Million Club [PC]*

Just plug the switch into the LAN. Port used matters not. No configuration is needed - they really are plug-and-play. ;)

Set up that way, but things are broke? I'd ask that you please post the output of ipconfig /all from a command prompt on both machines, and when running in both scenarios (gaming OK, no sharing; sharing OK, no gaming.)
That's four ipconfig's total. Please indicate which one is from which machine, and which one is how.
Please do not mask any information - can't use it against you.