Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: NETGEAR XAVB2501
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:58 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Hello all, I read the article on Powerline Networking standard advances in this months MPC Mag and I would like to get one of these setups for my appartment. Since I cant run cable here and I am currently running CAT 5 cable along my floor which looks really messy (that is what my wife says). I would like to know if anyone is using this setup and if so what is your experience? I want to stream HD 1080p video to my media device and I have a 10/100 router now that gets transfer speeds of 9.2MB sec. Will this device get me the same transfer speeds and will it be stable enough for streaming video.

Thanks for any advice.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 20XAVB2501

Newegg only has 2 reviews of this product but there both positive.

Post subject: Re: NETGEAR XAVB2501
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:30 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

DiRTDOG wrote:
I want to stream HD 1080p video to my media device and I have a 10/100 router now that gets transfer speeds of 9.2MB sec. Will this device get me the same transfer speeds and will it be stable enough for streaming video.

Your current set up with only getting 9.2 Mbps will not be enough to stream 1080p video. The problem with the electric system approach is you can have other items causing interference on the electrical lines which can take your download speeds away. Also being in an apartment complex could mean that different parts of your apartment are wired to other fuse boxes. Basically this means your two different outlets will not work because they can not talk to each other. Might want to double check with maintance on that just to be sure.

You could get a HT (n draft) wireless router and probably get better results (may cost a little more since you may need to also purchase a N drafter adpater). If you go this route please make sure to get one that is in the 5 GHz range. Most N draft routers also give you 10/100/1000 speeds.

The electric adapters work for some people and other not so much. It's a hit or miss from what I've seen. Kind of whats going on with your electric wiring and the equipment in use on the lines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:30 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Thanks for your help, that makes sense. I might just get a new router... or the cheaper version is 100ft CAT 5 :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:18 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Yeap just lift up the carpet and run some cat5e under there, just watch out for the nail tacs.