Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Windows Home Server
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 3:38 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I have downloaded and installed Windows Home Server 30 day trial on an older Pentium 4 computer.

The final instruction after installation is to use the WHS CD to setup computers to access the server. When I insert the CD into the DVD of another computer it opens a set of instructions about installing WHS. If I rebooted with the WHS disk in the DVD it would erase my hard drive and install WHS on another computer.

I can't guess what I need to install to access my WHS. I'm running Windows 7. When I open the Network it does not show the WHS.

What next?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 5:00 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Well you could map the network drive. You can also use remote desktop to control the server. The whs has a built in console you can download and install on machines. Pretty nice tool that is quick and easy to set up back ups and do some quick checks.

Is your server in the same network group name as your pc? Might be why you are not seeing it, hard to say with out knowing what's in your network. WHS is a good product you can have lots of fun with it.

Post subject: Re: Windows Home Server
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 5:04 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

BRubble wrote:
The final instruction after installation is to use the WHS CD to setup computers to access the server

It actually said use the "Windows Home Server Connector Software CD" (not the WHS CD). You can find that here

http://www.microsoft.com/DOWNLOADS/deta ... laylang=en

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 6:36 pm 
Million Club [PC]*
Million Club [PC]*

There are two (maybe three) problems here.

First: as furball said, you run the WHS Connector disc on a client PC, not the WHS install disc.
However, you don't get that disc with the trial. (More on that in a bit.)

Second: Make sure that the WHS box and your client PCs all have the same workgroup name. If it's not the same, the WHS just won't show up in Network.

Third: before you start joining clients to the WHS, you should first make sure that the WHS itself is fully patched.
When you're logged in at its desktop (locally): start the WHS Console. Go to Settings > Updates. Keep checking for (and applying) updates, rebooting as needed, until it's fully patched.
Do not use Windows Update.

Once the workgroup name is sorted out.... On a client PC, open Network (or the Run box), and go to \\<servername>\Software\Home Server Connector Software. Run Setup.exe. This will install the WHS Connector on that client.
(FYI, for future use: Use this, rather than the version that comes on CD (it's bundled in the WHS disc package that you buy.) The Connector is updated from time to time - the client PCs need to always be runnning the latest version that's on your WHS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 11:49 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I'm making progress (I hope.)

I found a newer version on the Microsoft website. I have downloaded that one and am in the process of installing it instead.

Also they say,

"To install the Windows Home Server Connector software on a home computer, you need to open a Web browser on a home computer, and type http://servername:55000, where "servername" is the name you gave your home server. You do not need the Windows Home Server Connector CD to install the Connector software. Repeat the software installation on each network computer."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 6:15 pm 
Million Club [PC]*
Million Club [PC]*

That would be another way to install the Connector, yes.
I actually forget that it's there.... :lol: