Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Can I connect a wireless router or switch to a wired router?
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:45 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Here's my setup.
In the back of the house I have my office where the cable/modem and my primary pc are located.
Connected to the pc I have a VoIP 4-port router. To get networked out to the livingroom I ran two lines of CAT-5 under the house (so that's 3 ports taken up), one connection goes to the Xbox, the other goes to a Dell Wireless router that I set up in Access Point Mode.
I'm to the point now where I want at least one more wired connection out in the living room.

Can I use the wireless router already out there? I'd have to put in back in wireless router mode, and it would be a router behind a router (I don't know if that works or not). Or could I use a switch or something and leave the wireless router alone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 1:47 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

We're talking about just wired client(s) being added on? You should be able to just use the other LAN ports on the Dell router that you're using as an access point. You probably won't have to change it's configuration or buy anything else as long as that gives you enough ports, which from the sound of it, it will.

Just make sure that the main router has a big enough pool of addresses for DHCP so there will still be enough to go around as you add clients.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 1:59 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I'm a tard...

went to run a cable from the xbox to the back of the Wireless router like suggested and realized port 1 was already taken; goes back to the back room router. I forgot that's how I had to get the wifi to work by pluggin into the Port and not the "Internet" port. So yeah, works great! Thanks