Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Wireless adapter is working, but can't find wireless network
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 6:03 am 

On a Dell Inspiration 1545 Laptop with a Broadcom 4312BG wireless chipset (I believe), the driver installed (stock from Dell), when I try to scan for available networks, nothing shows including mine that is three feet away. My other laptop in the same place sees four networks.

I'm running XP pro w/sp3,
No firewall or security software,
No encryption, passwords etc.,
Device manage shows good, the connection shows in Networks with no issue.

I originally tried the software included with the 'Dell' package which was a Intel program (??), but it couldn't find anything. Then I just tried the Windows program, but the same thing.

Other than a broken cable(s) to the internal antenna, or a outright
defective chipset, is there a Windows 'Service" if stopped would cause this to happen?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:03 am 

Is the wireless card "off"? I know on the dozen or so Dell Latitudes here at work there is a power on/off slide button on the side of the notebook.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:33 am 

This isn't my machine. I forgot about the switch on the side of the Laptop, that is directly below the Express Card slot making you believe it is the release latch for that slot. It is the on/off for the Wireless NIC. There is NO top panel indication or any indication within Windows this is disabled other that the red 'X' through the double computer icon in the system tray which would be there anyway if there was no connection.

Nothing telling you it is disabled! On a scale of 1 to 10, this stupidity gets a 11! Apparently it serves double duty as it is also a release for that card slot. There is a LED, but it doesn't lite up at all, not that that would matter since you can't see it anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:15 am 

I feel your pain. Try diagnosing that issue over the phone and then explaining to an irate upper management type why his notebook can't connect to the wireless during his most important meeting of the year. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 6:24 am 

After looking around further at the row of blue LED's on the lower left front panel that all look the same and with icons that are too small to be easily seen (if you could figure what each one means), there actually is a light for the wireless. :evil:

I don't understand why something doesn't show within Windows other than that 'X' which can mean many things.

Post subject: Re: Wireless adapter is working, but can't find wireless net
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 6:58 am 
Willamette
Willamette

videobruce wrote:
On a Dell Inspiration 1545 Laptop with a Broadcom 4312BG wireless chipset (I believe), the driver installed (stock from Dell), when I try to scan for available networks, nothing shows including mine that is three feet away. My other laptop in the same place sees four networks.

I'm running XP pro w/sp3,
No firewall or security software,
No encryption, passwords etc.,
Device manage shows good, the connection shows in Networks with no issue.

I originally tried the software included with the 'Dell' package which was a Intel program (??), but it couldn't find anything. Then I just tried the Windows program, but the same thing.

Other than a broken cable(s) to the internal antenna, or a outright
defective chipset, is there a Windows 'Service" if stopped would cause this to happen?

Yes, there is. Look for a service called "Wireless Zero Configuration" and ensure that it is started.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 am 

I did look and it was.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:22 am 

And it will only be started if you are using Windows to manage the connection. If you use Intel ProSet or Dell's management software it is not started.