Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Best Wireless N adapter
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 10:38 pm 

Router: Netgear WNDR3700
Adaptr: Netgear Wnda3100V2

All with the newest firmware, software and drivers up to date. The adapter is plugged into my xp desktop about 40' feet away from router.

5ghz range is unstable, drops and connects max around 5Mbps. I have read on other websites this router does have a very short and disappointing 5ghz range. I wanted to be able to operate in the 5ghz range because we have wireless security cams on site and i didn't want to cause interference on them.

When i switch over to the 2.5ghz range, it picks up and stays around the 30's and 53Mbps range without drops. My last adapter and router i got a constant stable 54Mbps, but i was able to find a G adapter that was pci and had wires going to a set top antenna.

Any suggestions? Should i keep the router and look for another adapter, perhaps a pci card with external antenna? My last router/adapter combo was a G and i got a rock stable 54Mbps. This new setup cost me around 210.00 for router and adapter, for what appears to be less performance.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Linksys WMP300N wireless N adapter, it has the external antenna.
Or should i take all this back?

Thank you kindly for reading and any constructive input you may have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:14 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Sounds like it could be your client adapter. I have had client adapters that just suck at getting a good connection. The WNDR3700 was just picked by maximum pc as being a best buy, so I would think it's a good router, but I've never used it.

But it's hard to say. You could have other things going on like some interferrence, or signal loss as it's passing through whatever to get to your client computer.

Does it connect good when closer to the router?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 1:51 am 

Thank you for the reply jlh304. I was not able to test that out, as the only other computer i had was a desktop down the hall.

I do wonder what frequency range MPC used to base its statistics on. A couple other websites gave this router a bad review of its 5ghz range being too short.

I think i will try another adapter before i decide to agree with them.