Hi All,

here's what I have:

D-Link DIR-655 Wireless Router
Netgear WGR 614 Wireless Router
GIGABYTE GA-X48-DS5 Motherboard w/ Dual Gigabit Nic
Win 7 x64 Ultimate

Here's how i'm currently connected:

Modem -> D-Link -> Gigabyte

What I want to do is add the Netgear router to the 2nd port on the Gigabyte and route all wireless traffic to the Netgear through my pc.

The reason is I want to analyze the traffic with Wireshark.

Modem <-> D-Link <-> Gigabyte <-> Netgear <-> wireless devices

How would I go about doing this? I'm hardware smart, network stoopid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:16 pm 
Million Club [PC]*
Million Club [PC]*

ICS is not what you want here. Rather, you'll need to simply bridge the network adapters on the Win7 box, and then point Wireshark at the NIC attached to the wireless router.
The first part is quite simple: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... ork-bridge
The second part, that I cannot help too much with (haven't used Wireshark myself.)

And, a recommendation: unless you have a very good reason to do otherwise, I'd recommend running the WGR-614 in "switch/AP" mode, rather than in "router" mode.
Aside from making troubleshooting (should it need to be done) a lot easier (what with not having to deal with the double-NAT and all), it'll also allow you to 'see' traffic that otherwise wouldn't exist - things like DHCP requests, normal local traffic (you can't share across subnets, after all), DNS lookups (or, more than you would in routed mode), etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:59 pm 

The wireshark part I'm all set on.

I'm assuming they get connected pc nic -> wgr lan port, and not the wan correct?

i was able to create the bridge, but then had no network access.
i inverted the order they were listed, so that the D-Link was first, and that was ok, i had internet access - but the other pc's that are wired to the d-link received the page 'this is being managed by pc1 (192.168.0.103)'

I'm having trouble getting the WGR converted to switch mode, as every time i connect to it the setup page shows up and it detects my isp as static, which it's not.

i'll play around with it some more, if you have any other suggestions they're appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 7:51 pm 
Million Club [PC]*
Million Club [PC]*

Correct - in AP-Only mode, do not use the WAN (Internet) port on the secondary router. Many routers actually disable this port when you do the reconfiguration to AP-Only mode.

General directions:
0- First and foremost, reset the router to factory defaults!! Consult your manual (or Google) for how to do this. Previous customizations can (and likely will) give you hell with this.
1- First, determine what will be a usable LAN IP address and subnet mask for your secondary router. Assuming that your Netgear is still at its default 192.168.0.1/24 config, a "safe" address would be 192.168.0.254, subnet 255.255.255.0; no DNS or default gateway settings will be needed.)
2- disconnect secondary router from network.
3- Connect a PC to said router via hardware. Log in to router.
4- Reconfigure router as follows:
- UPnP disabled
- Set WAN config to Automatic
- Routing (may be termed RIP) disabled
- Set LAN IP address of router. Reload your browser, pointing it at router's new IP address.
- Disable the router's DHCP server.

At this point, shut down the router, connect it to your LAN, and power it back up. Check functionality (can be either via wired or wireless - doesn't matter.)
Work? Shut it down again, and move it to its new home (connected to the PC.)

give that a go, and report back.

HTH

(damn, I really need to get that FAQ done..... ;) )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 5:21 am 

I tried and seem to have succeeded last night.

I turned off the dhcp server of the router.
Then changed it's address from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.2 (wasn't sure if having both the D-Link and Netgear using the same ip was causing conflicts).

I didn't change anything else and was unable to access the router via the web interface anymore (i seem to remember that happening when i daisy chained two routers together a long time ago and turned one into a switch)

then i bridged the connections, rebooted and everything seems to be working. i was able to connect all pc's to the internet and connect my wireless device to both wifi connections - though i am going to have to reset the Netgear and add a password, which i forgot to do. it's unplugged atm so there's no security risk there.

the biggest pain was the Netgear constantly detected my isp as providing static ip, rather than dhcp. Both of the WGR614's I have do that actually. even when i was able to bypass the config page and force it to use dhcp, it couldn't find a connection. doesn't matter now as i'm using it as a switch and keeping the D-Link as my router.

I was able to start capturing the data i needed with Wireshark too, so I'm happy.

Thanks for your help cup!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:07 pm 
Million Club [PC]*
Million Club [PC]*

You're welcome.

And, yes, having two devices on the same network, with the same IP address, will cause all kinds of mayhem. Even worse when something has the same IP as your router. 8)