Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Home server question
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:56 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

HI all I was wondering if I can have an old computer and set it as a server for my small busness. Heres some info that may help you guys to help me.

-The router is in the house and my computer, different printers(lable maker,wood ingraver, sticker cutter, laserprinter,hp 2840), and 2 external hd
-I have 2 laptops for different usages

And now heres what I want to try and do.

-The ability to use any printer that I have to use.
-Get data with in the computer while using the laptop
-to be able to be somewhere else like 50miles away and still obtain data.

So ya is this possible or do I have to use a hub?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:29 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Yes this is possible. I don't know what your old computer is, so I can't say if it is a good choice to be a server. You should look at getting a router that supports vpn as that is how you should plan on getting inside your network. Remote desktop would be another way. The biggest thing will be to maintain security. You will probably need to open up a port on your router to allow remote desktop to pass through.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:54 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

What kind of router do you have?

You can use a switch if you want, but it may be an unnecessary expense depending on what you have for a router. I guess it might not be a bad idea to know who your broadband service is with too...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:41 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

The router is by att called 2 wire wireless gateway

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:32 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

ninjastar wrote:

Specifically which model?

If you have the 2701HG, which has 4 ports on it, then you don't need a switch, just connect both computers to that, but since you didn't specify which one you have, you've also left a mystery as to how you're connecting your laptop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:56 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

furball146 wrote:
ninjastar wrote:

Specifically which model?

If you have the 2701HG, which has 4 ports on it, then you don't need a switch, just connect both computers to that, but since you didn't specify which one you have, you've also left a mystery as to how you're connecting your laptop.

ya its the one with 4 ports. Also I wanted to connect the laptop via wirelessly. But then things is, is that the router is in the house and all my equipment is in the garage. So I thought that I can set it up all wirelessly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:19 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

This just sounds like a prime example of a good use for Windows Home Server and does well with aged parts. Everything up to the point of "50 miles away" seems like it can be done with just a basic home network, but WHS will allow remote connections from the field. Small Business Server is just too expensive to recommend over WHS...

Ah man! Do you have that Craftsman wood engraver!? Don't know what I'd do with it, but want one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:39 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Chumly wrote:
This just sounds like a prime example of a good use for Windows Home Server and does well with aged parts. Everything up to the point of "50 miles away" seems like it can be done with just a basic home network, but WHS will allow remote connections from the field. Small Business Server is just too expensive to recommend over WHS...

Ah man! Do you have that Craftsman wood engraver!? Don't know what I'd do with it, but want one.

lol xP But ya what do you think I should do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:24 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

For starting off, I'd just network and find it's limitations. I'm assuming you're just wanting access to files no matter where you're at in the house. The PC in the home could be your mini-mainframe with everything residing there, then that thing just has a good backup plan. Need a file? Get on the network and grab it. Need billing? Open up that spreadsheet remotely.

I just scratch my head with the 50-mile away thing while doing a simple network. Myself, I'd get by with limited capabilities with the remote laptop or whatever. Not sure if that's something you can do though. I've been stuck out there on my own hobbies with no way to grab a file I left at home because I simply wasn't prepared for that to happen. I gotta hope someone's home so that I can get emailed the file.

There's GoToMyPC, but that's a subscription that can be expensive over the full year. It ends up being just as expensive as a copy of WHS that you can use for no fees. There's also some remote software, but then you get into VPN tunneling and such I don't touch.

Just keep in mind I'm a hobbiest and you're trying to run a business here...I've got an askew view and will oversimplify things. I'm just trying to avoid big costs right off the bat with hopes of growing into something more stable. Windows Business Server is way down the line; or buy it now and start the 5 years you can write off losses.

(I could have used a mini CNC type router today. That's make plexiglass cutting so damned easy!)