Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Networking Win 7 and Vista
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:21 pm 

This is a very basic networking question.

Basically, my new "super computer" is Win 7, of course. My "backup" pc is my last one running Vista, SP2.

All I want to really do at this point it use it as a backup server. I was gonna just make my backup using Acronis true image, put it in the shared folder, and move it over, but I'm not doing something wright. File too big (300gb). I am able to share the public folder at this point, but that's about it.

If both were Win 7, it would be easy to just set up a homegroup. I've set up home networks before, what am I missing? I've got them both wired to my AT&T uverse router, btw. Thanks.

I know I can buy Windows Home Server, and I may end up doing so, but my priority now is to just get an image of my main computer on a different system in case something happens to it.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:11 am 
Klamath
Klamath

I've had this problem before, can't exactly remember what it is that i did since i've upgraded the two to windows 7. I think if my memory is right, it you can disable home groups and that might solve the problem, the other way could be to FTP your Image to the other computer, or use a program/service called dropbox, but you would have to pay for that. and idk if they do 300gb. Or the least effective alternative of doing a whole SH*T load of DVD's lol!

Wait maybe a USB/Firewire External HDD?