Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: what switch should i use for 25m speed
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:50 am 

the guy that installed my internet said that older switches wouldnt be able to withstand the speeds that the modem would pump out. I just want to make sure I will get one that is fast enough to support my internet lol. I am also looking to buy it at best buy as i have a gift card there, would you be able to recommend which one will work fine? http://www.bestbuy.ca/Search/SearchResu ... gory=26015

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:26 am 

As long as your router/switch supports 100mbps (most are 10/100mbps), you're fine. Nobody has been making 10mbps devices for many years now, so unless you're literally digging through some old parts bins at work, it shouldn't be a concern.

Btw, realize you will need a ROUTER and not just a SWITCH if you want to share that Internet connection w/ other PCs and network devices.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:25 pm 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]

eibgrad wrote:
As long as your router/switch supports 100mbps (most are 10/100mbps), you're fine. Nobody has been making 10mbps devices for many years now, so unless you're literally digging through some old parts bins at work, it shouldn't be a concern.

Btw, realize you will need a ROUTER and not just a SWITCH if you want to share that Internet connection w/ other PCs and network devices.

Not necessarily. Most internet modems come with built in router and DHCP capabilities, even if they only have one port in the back. I've got an 8 port switch right behind my modem and it works just fine.

To the OP, can you post the make and model of your internet modem so we can see if a switch will work for sure?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:05 pm 

bigtoyota479 wrote:
eibgrad wrote:

Not necessarily. Most internet modems come with built in router and DHCP capabilities, even if they only have one port in the back. I've got an 8 port switch right behind my modem and it works just fine.

To the OP, can you post the make and model of your internet modem so we can see if a switch will work for sure?

I'm not sure I'd agree *most* modems come w/ integrated routers. You tend to see such integration w/ DSL, much less w/ cable. I don't know which has the greater install base.

I stand by what I said, he needs a router. I never said it had to be purchased separately or couldn't be integrated into a single unit along w/ the modem. My concern was two-fold. The only device ever specifically mentioned was a switch. Plus the OP mentioned the need to support 25mbps (something I don't think any DSL service is capable of providing, most top out at ~3mbps, but I do see Version has a 7mbps plan in select areas).

All that says to me is, it’s very likely the OP has cable and will need a separate router. I just didn’t want him getting a switch by mistake and thinking he could share the Internet. But of course, in the off chance it’s an integrated cable modem+router, the addition of a switch is fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:23 pm 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]

Qwest and Verizon both have 20 MB+ DSL speeds. Also, the OP never mentioned what speed his internet runs at, nor the need to run 25 mb/s or faster. Only that he was told older switches couldn't keep up. That means 10 mb speeds or faster. Why buy a 50-60 dollar router when a 20-30 dollar switch will work just fine? Besides, it's the OP's choice anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:50 pm 

bigtoyota479 wrote:
Qwest and Verizon both have 20 MB+ DSL speeds. Also, the OP never mentioned what speed his internet runs at, nor the need to run 25 mb/s or faster. Only that he was told older switches couldn't keep up. That means 10 mb speeds or faster. Why buy a 50-60 dollar router when a 20-30 dollar switch will work just fine? Besides, it's the OP's choice anyway.

Check the OP's title.

Post subject: Re: what switch should i use for 25m speed
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:29 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

g00dw0lf wrote:
the guy that installed my internet said that older switches wouldnt be able to withstand the speeds that the modem would pump out. I just want to make sure I will get one that is fast enough to support my internet lol. I am also looking to buy it at best buy as i have a gift card there, would you be able to recommend which one will work fine? http://www.bestbuy.ca/Search/SearchResu ... gory=26015

Anything labeled with either Gigabit/1000BaseT/1000Mbps will suit your needs. Understand that the switch will negotiate to slower speeds if need be.

Personally, I think your tech has Rocks in his head. I haven't seen a straight 10BaseT switch on the shelf for close to 10 years and you can't say a switch might not handle it, if you network card can only handle 10BaseT :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:48 am 
Hired Gun
Hired Gun

These days integrated routers/modems are more common then not, even with cable. However it's all just assumptions on our part until the OP comes back to clarify. Either way I personally would rather have an independent router. You can always disable the routing capabilities on the modem. Most of them suck and have limited customizable features.