Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:52 pm 

RW wrote:
Having done a lot research, I have found that my modem and my router have the same IP. Many places are suggesting that I put the modem into a "Bridged Ethernet" mode, and then configure the router. Does that sound right?

Uhhh, so you're telling us NOW this is not just a DSL modem, but combo DSL modem + router (e.g., 2-wire)?! LOL

Yeah, when connecting one router to another, you typically have to assign different networks to each to avoid confusion. Otherwise the WAN port on the downstream router has an IP that's valid on both routers. And then routing between them becomes unpredictable. Using different networks (e.g., 192.168.1.x and 192.168.2.x) eliminates any ambiguity.

But in this particular case, the better solution (to avoid double NAT’ing) is to place the DSL modem+router in bridge mode. That demotes the device to a pure modem and passes the public IP to the WAN port of your router. And so you can keep your router using the default local network (e.g., 192.168.1.x).

I guess the lesson for me is, always ask for make & model, assume nothing (which I try to do but sometimes forget). LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:12 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

I'll be honest...I had no idea my modem doubled as a router. It only has the one ethernet port on the back and it never conflicted with my previous router.

Anyway, SUCCESS!!

Once the modem was put into Bridge mode, the new router fired up fine.

Thanks for all the help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:03 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

After a few hours, I have a question.

Could a new router make my internet load faster?

I don't have any hard data, but I feel like my wired connection is much "snappier" when loading pages, and my wife's laptop seems to be much quicker as well.

Could this be possible? or am I just imaging things?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:46 am 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

RW wrote:
After a few hours, I have a question.

Could a new router make my internet load faster?

I don't have any hard data, but I feel like my wired connection is much "snappier" when loading pages, and my wife's laptop seems to be much quicker as well.

Could this be possible? or am I just imaging things?

A faster router and adapter would probably show a small increase in browsing speed (IE, going from G to N rated wireless. Past that, improving your internet speed will come from a call to our ISP requesting their premium plan.