Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: your DNS server might be unavaliavble
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:12 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Ive been recently been experiencing problems with mega slow internet i thought it was a virus at first so i reformatted my pc but again i still get the same problem :? so i right clicked my network and then troubleshoot problems and i get the message your DNS server might be unavailable.

here is my speed test results

my (Internet Service Provider). ------ talk talk

Make and exact model of the broadband modem. --- net gear WG111v2

Connection type - router is Connected to my pc by Ethernet and my laptop gets the wireless from it.

Windows 7

The Internet Browser in use, IE, Firefox

My symptoms:

mega slow internet and very bad lag on xbox, sometimes i also get server not found when trying to assess some websites.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\CHRIS>IPCONFIG /ALL

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : CHRIS-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros L1 Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Ba
se-T Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1D-60-C2-BB-10
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::4589:3c6c:b17:e47c%11(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, March 12, 2010 3:39:27 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, March 15, 2010 3:39:27 AM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 234888544
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-13-2B-3A-D4-00-1D-60-C2-BB-10

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{14107310-CE56-43A9-8A3F-2872B64338A5}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:5ef5:73ba:2cce:a0:b16e:58c2(Prefer
red)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::2cce:a0:b16e:58c2%13(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

C:\Users\CHRIS>

can any one help?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:15 am 
Klamath
Klamath

any1?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:29 am 

For a lot of ppl that would be a rather "peppy" internet connection. Since I don't know what your service plan is indicating you should get, or what you're expecting based on previous test results, I really have no means to make a judgment one way or the other about your current results.

I suppose a problem w/ a DNS server could slow you down in the sense that name resolution is holding up your requests. You could try using OpenDNS instead of your ISP's DSN servers and see if that helps.

You might also try GRC’s DNS Benchmark to see if other DNS servers are more responsive (and test your own as well).

http://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:11 am 
Klamath
Klamath

here is a ping result if this helps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:12 am 
Klamath
Klamath

and here is the result when im connected to xbox live

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:38 am 
Klamath
Klamath

i just run that bench mark test and here is the results

DNS Benchmark Conclusions & Recommendations

What the results you have just obtained mean to YOU

The results summary, conclusions, and recommendations from your most recent run of this DNS benchmark are provided below. Please carefully consider the implications of making any changes to your system's current configuration before doing so.

ý System has only ONE (router based) nameserver configured.
It appears that only one local (router gateway) DNS nameserver, with the IP address of [192.168.0.1], is currently providing all DNS name resolution services to this system. This configuration is not recommended because most consumer-grade routers provide inefficient and under-powered DNS resolution services.

Unless the DNS resolvers your router is using is under your control, it may not be providing the best or complete name resolution services. For example, is it using multiple redundant DNS nameservers?

Users of GRC's DNS Spoofability system have determined that consumer-grade routers can be crashed by the receipt of specific DNS reply packets from the Internet. This opens the possibility that Internet-based criminals could acquire access to your router from the Internet as well as to the private network in controls.

Many consumer-grade routers fail to provide the full range of DNS lookup services. This may have been detected by the benchmark and noted below.

Recommended Actions:

Unless you have some specific reason not to, you should give serious thought to disabling your router's provisioning of DNS services (which it is providing for all computers on your local network). After this is done, a fresh reboot of your computers will likely reveal the multiple DNS nameservers provided by your ISP. This is a superior configuration, without an under-powered router acting as a incompetent middleman and impeding all DNS access.

Note that if you can determine the IP addresses of your ISP-provided nameservers (which may be visible in your router's web configuration) you could manually add them to the nameservers being tested by this benchmark, while also leaving your router providing DNS. This would allow you to compare the performance when running through your router versus "going direct".

þ System's sole nameserver is alive and replying to queries.
Although this system has only one DNS resolving nameserver, at least it is alive and replying to DNS queries. (If it were not, you would likely be painfully aware, since it would be difficult to accomplish anything requiring Internet access.)

þ System nameserver is faster than ALL public alternatives.
The DNS resolver your system is using is responding faster than any of the 100% reliable publicly available alternative DNS nameservers this benchmark utility just tested. Therefore, there would be no performance benefit from switching to any of those publicly available nameservers. However, since you only have a single system nameserver configured, it might be useful to use some of the fastest public nameservers as backups if that's possible in your situation. Please also note that this best performance appraisal assumes that this system's nameserver is 100% reliable. See the next item below for an appraisal of your nameserver's reliability.

Note: If there appeared to be one or more faster public alternative nameservers, there was enough uncertainty created by the spread of benchmark timing results that it was not possible to be at least 95% confident that any of those faster seeming nameservers really were reliably faster than the nameserver this system is currently using. So it made no sense to alarm you about the need to change things when there was insufficient evidence.

ý One or more system nameservers is NOT 100% reliable!
DNS reliability is extremely important, since lookup requests that are dropped and ignored by nameservers cause significant delays in Internet access while the querying system waits for a reply. The system is then finally forced to reissue the query to the same or to backup nameservers. While your system is patiently waiting for a reply, you are impatiently waiting to get on with your Internet access.

During this benchmark test, the nameserver being tested did not reply to some of the DNS queries it was sent.

So the question now is: Did the benchmark discover alternative nameservers having superior performance and reliability to which you could switch in order to obtain more performance and reliability?

Important Note:

Incorrect warnings of low reliability nameservers can arise if (1) DNS benchmarking is being performed while the local network is busy performing other work such as file downloading, or (2) the benchmark is running over a wireless (WiFi) link with low signal strength or high interference. Please try to minimize any other local network activity while the benchmark is running, and use a wired (not wireless) LAN connection if possible.

Recommended Actions:

Before you make any changes, you should probably run the benchmark a few more times at differing times of day to make sure that the troubling reliability is an ongoing problem and not just a brief occurrence.

You may also wish to consult the "Tabular Data" page which summarizes all benchmark results in numeric tables. The numbers make it easier to see exactly how unreliable your system's nameserver is compared with the available alternatives. (And also how the alternatives' performance compares.)

þ This system nameserver returns errors.
This is a GOOD thing! Some DNS providers, such as OpenDNS and even the Earthlink, Roadrunner and Comcast ISPs, redirect incorrectly entered URLs to their own advertising-laden marketing-driven interception page instead of simply returning an error to the web browser. But this system's nameserver is returning errors when asked to lookup non-existent domain names.

þ System nameserver is replying to all query types.
During the development of this DNS Benchmark we discovered that the routers used by some pre-release testers were not returning results for the benchmark's Uncached and/or Dotcom testing queries. Even though these queries are admittedly unusual, they are completely valid. So the only conclusion was that those few routers were inherently defective. The good news here is that your nameserver is replying to these unusual but valid queries.

REMEMBER TO CHECK SPOOFABILITY !!
Whether you make any changes to your nameservers or not, but
especially if you do, be sure to verify the security of your final DNS
resolver set by using GRC's free "DNS Spoofability" testing service!

http://www.GRC.com/dns/dns.htm
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

If you require assistance . . .

If you require assistance with the implementation any of the suggested changes to your system's DNS configuration, several sources of help are available:

For help with the operation and use of this DNS Benchmark program, please reference the extensive DNS Benchmark pages at the GRC website:

http://www.GRC.com/dns/benchmark.htm

For help with any of the specific conclusions or recommendations above, please see the DNS Benchmark FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) page:

http://www.GRC.com/dns/benchmark-faq.htm

Knowledge of the DNS domain name system is widespread among those in public technical Internet forums. You will very likely be able to obtain answers to any specific questions you may have by asking knowledgeable inhabitants of online communities.

GRC maintains and operates a comprehensive online "newsgroup" community and has a specific newsgroup - grc.dns - dedicated to the discussion of DNS issues including this DNS benchmark program (where it was developed) and GRC's online DNS Spoofability testing service. Please see the following web page for help with joining and participating in GRC's terrific newsgroups:

http://www.GRC.com/discussions.htm

GRC's technical support services are limited to the support of licensees of our commercial software products and do not extend to the support of our freely available software or online services. Please do not write to us (GRC / Gibson Research Corporation) for assistance in connection with this freeware utility.

You will find that ample help is freely available
within the Internet community. Thank you!

- Steve Gibson

Please Note: This program is Copyright (c) 2009 by Gibson Research Corporation -- ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. This program is FREEWARE. Although it may not be altered in any way, it MAY BE FREELY COPIED AND DISTRIBUTED onto and through any and all computer media in ANY form or fashion. You are hereby granted the right to do so.
• • •

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:49 am 

Well now we're getting into other territory.

PING results are not that big a deal for everyday activities (browsing, email, even downloading). Obviously we’d all like as good a result as possible, but it's not something that's going have a significant impact on those activities.

But now you've introduce the XBOX into the equation. NOW ping times are more significant since latency (lag) issues are always a concern for gamers. Gamers are more interested in responsiveness, not some much bandwidth.

How is the XBOX connected, via wire or wireless?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:00 am 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]

Do me a favor? Download and install this program called Visual Route Lite, and run some ping tests to the XBOX Live servers in question, and a few other places. It may be a server somewhere along the route that you have no control over, and this will map out all servers between you and the host you are trying to contact. It will pretty much pinpoint the slow spot in your connection. Post up some screenies of your tests so we can see what's going on.

http://www.visualroute.com/lite.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:16 am 
Klamath
Klamath

OK ive downloaded it what do i put in the " test to" adress bar?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:23 am 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]

An IP or web address. I'd google the IP address of an XBOX live server and put it in there. Maybe do a few of those. Then put in some random websites and see what the results are. Shoot, you can even put in MaxPC's website if you want.

I can't seem to find a list of servers for Xbox live though. Interesting. Maybe run some ping tests to Microsoft,.com and see what happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:29 am 
Klamath
Klamath

test 1

test 2

test3

let me know if u need more

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:34 am 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]

I've seen what I need to see there, and may have made a boo boo. Can you take those pics down really quick? I shouldn't have had you post those pics because now your IP address is all over the internet. I'm sorry, that's my bad.

However, I can definitely tell you it's an issue on your end at your router/modem by that pic.

Yeah, for some reason it looks like your DNS servers still aren't working right. Did you try to use OpenDNS as was suggested earlier?

Last edited by bigtoyota479 on Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:42 am 
Klamath
Klamath

The router is connected to my pc by Ethernet and a adsl cable from my phone cable filter, into the router. i also have a wired connection from my router to my xbox and my brothers laptop picks up wireless signals.

sorry if this dont make sence its hard to explain :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:43 am 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]

Yeah, I just read your original post and saw that. Did you try setting up OpenDNS as was suggested earlier? Set it up for your router, NOT your PC and see what happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:50 am 
Klamath
Klamath

no i haven't tried, to be totally honest i dont know what im doing can you please talk me through it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:04 am 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]

OpenDNS will walk you through it much better than I can. Go here: http://www.opendns.com/start/

Make an account, then it will tell you how to set it up. Select your router/modem model, and they will walk you through it step by step with pictures MUCH better than I could, lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:09 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

If anything, hard code your ISP's DNS.

What you posted above indiciates that you're pointing to your router and it should just forward (doesn't always happen though). Obviously, for whatever reason it's bottlenecking somewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:21 am 
Klamath
Klamath

ive just opened my DNS ill update in 5 mins to tell you if it worked

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:25 am 
Klamath
Klamath

sadly it didn't work :roll:

any other ideas?

could my router be broke?