Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Help needed in adding a second AP
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:00 pm 

I have a wireless router, but the range isn't good enough for the opposite room in my apartment. A friend gave me a wired switch, but i want to use wifi. Is it possible to buy something very cheap with basically an ethernet plug on one end and an antenna on the other?

Maybe it would be cheaper to just get a used g router?

Here's what I have:

thanks

ps - i've tried a wifi router on the switch before, but couldn't get it working. Does anyone have a link to a "how to"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:29 am 

If you have another wireless router, you don't even need the standalone switch. All you need to do is give the second router a unique static IP in the same network as the primary router (so let’s say the primary is 192.168.1.1, maybe make the second router 192.168.1.2), disable its DHCP server, and connect them LAN to LAN (do NOT use the second router’s WAN port!).

Netgear has a pretty good illustration of this setup. It references their own gear, but the principles apply to ALL routers.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/965

The primary router in their example happens to be wire-only, but that only means you need to use different channels to avoid interference.

NOTE: You can, if you want to, put the switch between the routers, doesn’t affect the setup one iota. At 50 ft., not using a switch shouldn’t be a problem in terms of Ethernet’s reach (100m max before needing a repeater). But if you feel it helps, it’s certainly not going to hurt. It would probably be more useful behind one of those two routers to expand the # of available ports.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:58 pm 
Hired Gun
Hired Gun

An AP is the best solution for the job, but as mentioned since you already have a wireless router, it will work just as well, and save you some money. This is the #1 asked question in this section, so do a quick search and read up on what we have told other people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:10 pm 

I'll be giving this a shot on the weekend and definitely refer to other threads if/when I get confused over ssids/channels/security and all that fun stuff.

thanks for the info