Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: New Router Blues, please advise
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:45 am 

After reading the router roundup in maximum pc a couple issues back, I decided to upgrade my dlink G router to the dlink dir-615 N router (since it got the best review in that article). Prior to the upgrade the G router worked fine and i had no connection issues.

After the upgrade however wireless has been a nightmare. Here is my setup...

Router is sitting on my tv stand and has the cable modem, xbox 360, wdtv live and bluray player hard wired into it. I have a desktop with an Airlink N150 adapter that is about 20 feet from the router. I have my company laptop that has a built in G adapter that is usually within 10-15 feet from the router. I am running the router in G/N mode.

The Dlink DIR-615 is hardware version C1 and firmware 3.11NA.

I have several issues...
1. Desktop N adapter connects but the speed goes up and down all the time. it can be 150mbps and then the next minute its 4! I have no idea why its jumping all over the place. I thought if i switched it to N only mode it may stabalize. WRONG! It wouldnt connect at all then. So i had to switch it back to G/N. The pc stays connected but the speeds are all over the place.

2. The laptop connects and works fine.. then the router just drops me from the connection and it will not reconnect. I have to run a wire to the laptop to get online because the wifi will not work for long periods of time. I have no idea why this is not staying connected consistantly.

3. This is admittedly the least of my concerns, but it is a problem nonetheless, i cannot get my windows mobile phone to connect. I am using a Samsung Omnia with WinMo 6.5 with a custom ROM. It tries to connect but never does. This was never an issue with the old router.

Any other information i can give to help out i will. Please help me out if there is any help to be given lol. If not i may have to return the router for something else.

thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:15 pm 

The most common wireless problem is interference. Have you tried other channels (btw, channels 1, 6 and 11 provide the greatest separation).

I would try G-Only as well, just to see what happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:10 pm 

thanks for the suggestions. but none of that worked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:43 am 
Hired Gun
Hired Gun

Sounds like you might have a bad router. Have you tried researching to see if other owners of that router are having the same problems?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:13 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Is the MPC suggested 615 better or worse than the 655? What's the limitations, and how do we deal with them now that it's purchased based on MPC putting it in print?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:46 am 
Hired Gun
Hired Gun

Chumly wrote:
Is the MPC suggested 615 better or worse than the 655? What's the limitations, and how do we deal with them now that it's purchased based on MPC putting it in print?

The 615 is a less expensive model with less features then the 655. MPC based their article on how their device performed in the Lab, there is no way to simulate every possible environment that the device will be operated in. They also can't predict product failure. Three things cause wireless router issues, Environment, User Error, and Device Defect. None of which can be blamed on MPC. That's why I suggested that the OP research to see if his problem is common amongst other users with this model, this could indicate a possible device defect or issue.

I have suggested the 655 to countless people (including you) both on the internet and in person. I don't own one, and I haven't even touched one in RL. I suggest it based on features, reviews I have read, Customer testimonials, and the firmware emulator on Dlink's website. Should I be held liable because someone bought one on my suggestion and it ended up not working for them? I think not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:00 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

It appears as though there is a new firmware revision available for your router. Have you tried upgrading the router firmware yet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:14 pm 
Hired Gun
Hired Gun

pcstudent wrote:
It appears as though there is a new firmware revision available for your router. Have you tried upgrading the router firmware yet?

Yeah looks like it came out 2 days after the OP posted this. http://www.dlink.com/products/?tab=3&pi ... R-615_revC