Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Turning an Old Router into an Access Point
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:36 pm 

Recently there was a how-to printed in the magazine that instructed how to take an old router and add it to your existing network to extend your wireless range. I followed the instructions by changing the IP to 192.168.1.2 on my old wireless G router in order to connect it to the existing network and then plugged a cable into the back.

Not having ever done this, I wasn’t 100% of what I was looking for in trying to see if it was working. I went upstairs and checked my laptop that has consistently had a weak signal, and it still had a fairly weak signal. I verified that it was connected to my SSID of “Hornâ€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:56 pm 

Just give them the same SSID and wireless security information. Your wireless client will treat them as if they're one and the same. Whichever has the stronger signal at the moment will usually make the connection.

In fact, this is exactly what happens (when you don't want it too) when neighbors install the same make of wireless router, then naively use the default SSID (e.g., linksys) and leave wireless security disabled. Before you know it, one or the other is mistakenly using the other's router! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:51 am 
Hired Gun
Hired Gun

You will have to disconnect and reconnect to which ever router is closest. Your computer will not automatically switch to the stronger signal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:25 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

In addition to teh above suggestions, I'd also recommend making sure both wireless devices are on a different channel.