Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Do I need a Linux box?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:56 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

When I start playing games online, my wifes computer becomes unplayable with anything utilizing the internet.

I thought I would be able to set the router up to give so much dedicated bandwidth to each PC but from what Ive learned recently, this isnt the case.

Ive been told the only way to do that is to make what many call a Linux Box.

Is that true?

Is there a cheaper way to do what I'm trying to do?

And if I do have to end up building a linux box, whats the cheapest I can get away with and how hard is it to set it up for what I want?

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:06 am 

You need a router w/ QoS (Quality of Service) features. QoS is not typically found on low end consumer routers. So you'll want to step up to a better one that does (e.g., D-Link DIR-655). Plenty of others, I just picked that one off the top of my head.

WRT Linux Box, I'm not sure what they meant. Maybe they were suggesting you create your own gateway solution that employs QoS (e.g., Astaro). But that's not a plausible solution for the average consumer. In all likelihood you just need a better router. At least I’d try that before delving into anything like Linux.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:44 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

You are gonna laugh, but I have that router.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... =dir%20655

And I looked at the QOS settings and I couldnt find what I needed or I didnt know what I was doing.

Can you tell me what I need to do or if there is a site that explains it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:46 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

The only use I can see using a "linux box" would be to setup a linux router and configuring the aforementioned QoS, something you're saying is available on your router.

I'm not so sure this is a QoS issue though. You can distribute bandwidth with it, but I can't see one machine on a network even approaching maxing bandwidth in this regard just playing games, else we'd have Xbox and PS3 people complaining of the same thing.

Personally, I'd probably just disable QoS and see how things react at that point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:13 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

endersshadow wrote:
You are gonna laugh, but I have that router.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... =dir%20655

And I looked at the QOS settings and I couldnt find what I needed or I didnt know what I was doing.

Can you tell me what I need to do or if there is a site that explains it?

Page 33 of the manual here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:03 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

So I read page 33 over and over again... and it doesnt do what I need it to do.

Heres our problem in more detail. When I am playing WoW and my wife is playing Farmville, she says it takes her forever to do anything and she has extreme noticeable lag.

There are no options in QOS to designate a portion of my bandwidth directly to her....and thats what I wanted to do and thats what I thought a Routing Box/Linux box could do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:12 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

...and what kind of internet service do you have?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:28 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

DSL

9mb down
.4 mb up

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:13 pm 

endersshadow wrote:
So I read page 33 over and over again... and it doesnt do what I need it to do.

Heres our problem in more detail. When I am playing WoW and my wife is playing Farmville, she says it takes her forever to do anything and she has extreme noticeable lag.

There are no options in QOS to designate a portion of my bandwidth directly to her....and thats what I wanted to do and thats what I thought a Routing Box/Linux box could do.

Every manufacturer implements QoS a bit differently. There really is no "standard" per se when it comes to this stuff. D-Link likes to use an automated feature called StreamEngine (as close to a standard as there is I suppose). It makes *assumptions* about what traffic needs prioritization over others. It may work well in most cases, but incredibly annoying and frustrating if you don't agree w/ those assumptions.

Frankly, one of the best QoS solutions that its users always seem to rave about is the third party firmware Tomato:

http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato

Combine this w/ the ASUS WL-520GU and it’s quite a nice router (but only G):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6833320023

So you do need a tomato compatible router and need to feel comfortable dealing w/ a third party firmware update (not everyone is). I use dd-wrt myself and while it does have QoS features of the type you want (just like tomato), it doesn't seem to work all that well (at least I don't seem to notice its effects as much as I was hoping).

Anyway, I just don't happen to know of a specific router to recommend. A lot of them are like D-Link’s, automated (the manufacturer probably figures it's too complicated for the average home user). But if you're willing to consider a tomato compatible router, it might be worth considering. You can sometimes find a really good deal like that ASUS ($30-40).

Last edited by eibgrad on Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:16 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

So your theory here is playing wow is tacking up the majority of the bandwidth?

:shock:

Why are you using QoS to begin with with a pipe that big and seemingly two connections (wow, and a web connection). Again, I have a hard time imagining WoW sending more then the 4 megs you have so buffer overruns occur.

Are you experiencing the same things when you disable this function either at the router or at your DSL modem (if it has that capacity).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:30 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Ok so I know this doesnt "Sound" right, but I can be doing all sorts of things on the computer and my wife can be playing farmville, but when I get on WoW she immediately starts to lag.

Yes the same lag occurs with or without QOS.

I havent messed with any settings on the modem itself.

--I checked the options of the modem. There was nothing for QOS or anything close.

I dont know if it helps to mention, my wife is utilizing the wireless signal on the laptop and I am on my pc with the a direct line.