Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Wireless troubles.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:47 am 

Hey guys, I'm not sure if this is the right spot for this, so please move it if it isn't.

Recently I've been having lots of problems with my wireless internet on my desktop PC. It has been kicking me off the network pretty frequently. It will display low (or no) signal and sometimes won't let me reconnect right away. I run Vista 64-bit with a D-Link WDA 2320 Adapter. My router is just a Verizon FiOS router that came with the installation of FiOS internet. The computer is pretty far away from the router, but my laptop gets signal in the same room just fine.

Does anyone have any ideas of what could help fix this? Need more info on the computer? Please help!

Thanks in advance!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:36 pm 
Hired Gun
Hired Gun

Since you say that the laptop has no issues in the same location I would suspect the Desktops Wireless adapter as the root of the issue. The first thing I would check is possible interference. If the antenna is at the back of the computer make sure there are no power cables or any other cables that would interfere with the signal. The antenna on that adapter is fixed to the card so you can't move it, you might try pointing it in the general direction of the Wireless router. You might also try another antenna with a cable attached to it that allows you to move it into a location that will provide you with a better signal. If you don’t want to buy another antenna you will need to reposition the desktop so you can get a better signal. Another possibility is the card might be going out on you, although this is the least likely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:09 pm 

I re-installed windows vista on the computer, took out the adapter, installed the drivers, reinstalled the adapter, and I am still getting a fluctuating signal and very very very slow download speeds.

I think it might be the adapter that is broken, since I had been getting signal fine for months before a few days ago. My laptop and iPhone are still both getting great signal right next to the desktop.

However, I would like to try and improve signal before I go out and spend money on a new adapter.

I want to know if it is possible for me to set up a second router halfway in between the current router and my desktop. Is this possible to boost signal? If so, how would I go about doing this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:15 pm 
Hired Gun
Hired Gun

What you're looking for is a WAP not a router. If other devices get a signal just fine then you should consider another adapter or a better antenna like I originally suggested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:31 pm 

Today I upgraded my OS to Win7 Home 64-bit and the same adapter (D-Link WDA-2320) has a stable connection, but the speed is considerably slower than what my speeds were on Vista prior to this whole problem. For example, I used to download games off Steam at around 1.2mbps and right now I'm redownloading a game and it's fluctuation between 50kbps all the way to 500kbps. Is this just a compatibility issue with Win7, or could the card still be shot? If it is a compatibility issue, can you recommend any PCI wireless adapters that will work 100% with Windows 7 64-bit?