Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Set up router with comcast bus class modem and static IPs
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:31 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Setting up a home business network for a friend. He's gotten the business class plan from comcast, 5 static public ips. I think we've got the right setup but it's not working. Talking to Comcast and Netgear, they both point to each other as the culprit. Since I've never really set one up myself, I can't decide who to believe though I'm leaning toward not believing comcast based on their past history.

Set the internal IP of the Netgear router (can't remember the model as I sit here now) to 192.168.1.2. Changed the internal IP of the modem (SMC 8014) to 192.168.1.5. Also disabled DHCP on both for now. He's got a seperate home network that is not connected right now in any way to the work network that connects through a router at 192.168.1.1.

Coax comes from teh wall to the modem and the modem is ethernetted to the WAN port of the router. On the router I've set the WAN port to one of the IP's they gave him. Put in the subnet mask (.248) and the DNS comcast provided us. Used the IP block address as the gateway as they said to do.

After having it not work and reading up on it, I've also disabled any settings on the modem have anything to do with firewalling or interferring with traffic. Though Comcast claims it's in bridge mode and none of that should be necessary. The person I spoke with was an utter moron though so who knows. I don't get how they'd KNOW to send it in bridge mode to begin with when they didn't know whether he was planning on using a router or not...? Or are they ALL bridge mode? I dunno and am even more confused after talking to Comcast.

While working with Comcast and Netgear I had laptops connected directly to each device and had static IP'd them both with a gateway of 192.168.1.2 for the one connected to teh router and .5 for the one connected to the modem.

I could get to the internet from the one connected to teh modem but not through the router. Couldn't ping names or IP's. The modem uses an outward facing IP to talk to the web that is DHCP assigned and is completey different than the static IP's we were given.

I was trying to explain this to the netgear guy when he pointed out that I was able to connect to the internet through the modem with teh 192.168.1.30 IP address. He says that means the modem is NOT bridged. I understood what he was saying but I could not get him to understand that there was a public IP on the modem.

Now that may not make any difference, that it has a public IP. And maybe he can tell it's not bridged simply because of that. I just don't know enough about the subject to tell him differently. All I know is that it's not working. :-(

As long as this is, I've probably left out key details. Be glad to provide any further info and thanks for any help, suggestions or ideas that anyone may have!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:44 pm 
Hired Gun
Hired Gun

Netgear guy is right, you're modem isn't set to bridge mode. You're router and your modem are conflicting. Your modem should be in bridge mode because you have static IP's. Should be easy to set the modem to bridge mode, but the directions will be modem specific.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:19 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Hitman wrote:
Netgear guy is right, you're modem isn't set to bridge mode. You're router and your modem are conflicting. Your modem should be in bridge mode because you have static IP's. Should be easy to set the modem to bridge mode, but the directions will be modem specific.

Thank you sir! And is it the fact that I can browse the web while connected to the modem with an internal IP that tips you off to the modem being bridged? Whether or not it (the modem) has an outward IP that it's using?

I did look for directions to change the smc 8014 to bridge mode. Got everything ranging from "it will eventually fix itself cuz it's a smart modem" (no seriously, some guy was claiming it eventually just started working) to "disable DHCP, firewall, etc" to "call comcast, they have to do it at their end".

I tried all of that but online I saw statements from some folks that there was no way to just put this model into bridge mode, no checkbox like you'd expect. I also found no reference on how to do it online and the, ahem, person at comcast was a complete idiot of course. But bottom line is there's not such setting in the SMC setup. After getting off with Netgear I had to leave, didn't have time to call comcast back. But sounds like I will be...

Thanks Hitman!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:58 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

My buddy had called Comcast on another issue for his home acct and while he had them on the line mentioned the issue we were having with his business connection as well as the fact that we'd already called Comcast. The tech connected to his modem remotely, I'm told he said "ahhhhh" and "hmmm" a couple times, reset the modem a couple times... Next time I was at his house I just plugged the router with the settings we'd already plugged in and it was good to go. So I can't say for sure what was done specifically, other than I noticed that the default internal IP had been set back to 10.1.10.1. Which doesn't matter to me even as anal as I am. We can get to it at that address if needed so I'm just leaving it. But the modem is now in bridge mode.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:10 pm 
Hired Gun
Hired Gun

Good to hear it got fixed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:30 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Thanks Hitman, I really appreciate your help on that. Don't have much experience with it and don't know enough about how it works to be more forceful with Comcast. Your post was all we needed, thanks again mon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:44 pm 

so what's the main important difference in having your business modem set to bridged mode or non bridged mode?!?

bridged mode is basically "dumb mode" & vice versa
dumb mode being modem just acts as a passthru for the internets to go str8 to a router?

hope i get a quick answer on this. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:42 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I'm no expert on that but what I do understand about how it works is exactly what you've just said. In bridge mode the modem lets the router do all the work, it just recieves and forwards everything to the router.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 3:39 am 

bogara007 wrote:
I'm no expert on that but what I do understand about how it works is exactly what you've just said. In bridge mode the modem lets the router do all the work, it just recieves and forwards everything to the router.

thx. ya, it didn't turn out to be so bad after all. after the comast tech not giving me the ip info before leaving (douche), i finally found ip gateway ip & it was much more configurable than i originally had thought. all worked out & network is working as it was :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 6:16 am 
Hired Gun
Hired Gun

Yes that's right, bridge mode just sets the modem as a pass through.