Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: The Network from hello
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:59 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Hi all new to the MPC forum but I have been reading the mag for just over a year.

Ok here is the problem:
I am on a dish for my Internet connection so this is a tad different than the average broadband setup. I have my modem which connects to the netgear wireless router. From there I have a switch to connect teh rest of the compters 6 and climbing. Only one is connected via wireless. Yes I ran all the wire myself :roll:. All but 2 are running XP pro/home the others are 98se(worry about them later). That leaves 4 computers to deal with. I have spent several months working on this (off and on) I can get 2 of them to connect to each other. They can share folders and the printer. However I don't want my son printing off that printer, I would like him to use the one connected to my PC. Now my PC is one that nobody can seem to connect to. I have tried everything I can think of to get this working. Reconfigured the network changed IP addy's gone through the troubleshooter at least a dozen times, turned firewalls off-on changed workgroups on all the PC's everything I could think of, STILL NOTHING WORKS!!!

Now I am not a total n00b to networking I have gone through the CCNA course and have helped set up other networks(mainly for LAN parties). When it comes to making my own work I have just had the hardest time gtting it all to work. Is there something that I might have overlooked about 100x's?

Please any help would be great!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:59 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Can you ping your computer from the other computers?

Can you ping the other computers from your computer?

Can you get on the internet on your computer?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:31 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I can get on the net no problem there.
I can ping from mine to the others but not the other way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:21 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

If you can ping one way, then Layer3 is fine.

Sounds like a FW problem on one end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:18 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I have tried every firewall config all off, all on, on 1 off on the other, and vise versa, still not working.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:02 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Xman wrote:
I have tried every firewall config all off, all on, on 1 off on the other, and vise versa, still not working.

I know this seems silly, but have you made sure they are the one you cannot connect to is on the same network or workgroup name?

What FW have you tried?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:21 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Something strange happened last night, I was looking at a site when my anti-virus alerted me of a virus. I hit the e-lock button which then closed all my internet access. Any way I cleaned up the virus and re-enabled my web access. It was at this point that I noticed that the firewall with my anti-virus was ON. I then turned it off and headed to bed. This afternoon I got on the computer and decided to give the network another try. BAM it worked. I completely forgot about the firewall on my anti-virus and once disabled I was able to connect to the other computers and they could conncet to me. Needless to say it took all of five minutes for my son to raid my music folder. :roll:

Now to figure out my he can not print on my printer. Should not take too long, I hope :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:06 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Xman wrote:
Something strange happened last night, I was looking at a site when my anti-virus alerted me of a virus. I hit the e-lock button which then closed all my internet access. Any way I cleaned up the virus and re-enabled my web access. It was at this point that I noticed that the firewall with my anti-virus was ON. I then turned it off and headed to bed. This afternoon I got on the computer and decided to give the network another try. BAM it worked. I completely forgot about the firewall on my anti-virus and once disabled I was able to connect to the other computers and they could conncet to me. Needless to say it took all of five minutes for my son to raid my music folder. :roll:

Now to figure out my he can not print on my printer. Should not take too long, I hope :?:

Just curious, which virus did you have?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:19 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I was using Trend Micro's PC-cillin. Which has now expired and I just switched to AVG.