Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Modem/router combo with no firewall or admin password
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:33 pm 

I've moved from a DSL modem with separate router connection to a VOIP/DSL setup. Yesterday I discovered that the firewall on the combo unit was off and today, according to my ISP, there is no password for the modem/router. I blew up and ranted about security but the tech people, two of them actually, said that the only way someone could get through was on their network and only if they knew my address. Not sure if that means that address to the router or not but that is easy enough to get, I think. They went on to say that they use or my combo has an ACL list that will keep me safe.
I am not familiar with the VOIP/DSL combo equipment but this seems very odd. I've always read that a router should have a password, a good one. The techs said that if there was a password, they couldn't get into the router when I needed tech support. That sounds like a very 'duh' thing to say but I didn't have a comeback because I don't know if they are blowing smoke or if they know what they're talking about.

I hope there are some experts here who can address this for me. Any suggestions or help would be great. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Modem/router combo with no firewall or admin password
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:31 am 

Yet another reason these modem+router devices are to be avoided. All fine and well that they protect the device w/ ACL, but the only aspect of the device that should be relevant to the ISP is the modem. Heck, at one time that’s all they provided! But by coupling the modem and router, they’re now into your business wrt the router. And they’re effectively managing the security of your local network. What is they decide to PUSH a firmware update and blow away your own configuration (e.g., port forwarding)? That same ACL might prevent YOU from having remote access via the internet too!

What I recommend to anyone using a modem+router device is place your own router behind it, LAN to WAN respectively. Now you have your own firewall and a much greater degree of control and privacy. And if possible, reconfigure the modem+router in bridge mode, thereby demoting it to only a modem and passing the public IP to your router.