Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Hulu Hardware Acceleration
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:16 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Is there any way to get flash player v. 10 to use your GPU instead of CPU. My barebones system with a GMA 950 and an Intel atom 230 can hardly play Hulu, even when the box with "hardware Acceleration" box is checked. Is there any way to fix it? I know its not my internet because i can stream 720p when it uses silverlight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:59 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

From Macromedia's site:

What are display settings?
Display settings allow you to use hardware-accelerated scaling to improve the speed of playback in Flash Player.

What happens if I do nothing?
By default, Enable Hardware Acceleration is selected to improve the quality of playback in Flash Player, particularly the performance of full-screen playback.

What is hardware-accelerated scaling?
Although Flash Player can display high-quality video and images by itself, hardware-accelerated scaling uses the video or graphics card on your computer to display images and video more clearly and quickly than Flash Player can on its own.

Will hardware-accelerated scaling work on all computers?
For hardware-accelerated scaling to work, you need Microsoft® DirectX 9 with VRAM 128 MB for Windows and OpenGL for Apple® Macintosh®, OS X v10.2 or higher. There might be compatibility issues with older hardware and drivers. (See Flash Player system requirements.) With older versions of Flash Player, you should not see dramatic changes as the player reverts from hardware-accelerated scaling back to software scaling.

If I have display problems with Flash Player, what should I do?
If you have display problems with Flash Player, such as poor picture quality or slow display times, deselect Enable Hardware Acceleration in the Display panel. This should eliminate hardware or driver compatibility problems with Flash Player. Flash Player then uses software to scale and display the content.

How can I display this panel again?
To view the Display panel:

Right-click (Windows) or Control-click (Macintosh) the application image during playback.
From the context menu, select Settings. The Display panel is the first panel shown.

Note that they require 128MB of VRAM .. this may be more than your netbook (? I'm guessing, given the CPU / GPU combo) has available. You may be able to adjust the amount of RAM put aside for the GPU in the BIOS, though .. worth a look?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:26 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Ya, i'll check it out. Its actually a homebuilt nettop, but now i regret not spending the extra $15 for the dual core...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:29 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Hehehehe .. I can imagine.

My netbook is crippled compared to my desktop .. but I can take anywhere in my bag and when I tether it to my iPhone, i have broadband internet access anywhere I can get a 3G signal.

Different tools for different jobs, right? ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:29 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Does anyone know if GMA 950 supports direct x 9? Also, any idea where in the bios i would be able to change the amount of vram? Do you think gma booster would help?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:57 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Try google to find out about DX9 and your GPU.

The BIOS question depends on the BIOS .. poke around for a bit and check.

GMABooster may help ... try it and see. You need 128MB of VRAM, though, regardless of the software you add on top ... that is plain from their site.

Didn't get enough info in your 'brother's' thread? You know that dual-posting threads is as frowned on as using multiple accounts, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:57 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Damn, GMA 950 doesn't even support DX 7. Actually i didn't get enough info from the last post that he made, and I thought it was from over a month ago (beginning of school screws with my sense of time).

Why did you put brother in quotes, you don't believe that people have siblings who share interests? Just cause my bro made one stupid post, doesn't mean you have to get mad at me as well...