Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Any way to increase wireless internet speed from 72mbps ?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:04 pm 

I have a wireless connection, and its supposed to be 100mbps. I currently get 72mbps from being meters away from the router. Is there any way to increase this speed somehow? Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:41 am 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

The router throttles the speed, so you probably do get the 100Mbps at one point or another. So, I'm running wireless N next to the router and usually get 65Mbps. However, the status of the adapter will show it jump to 130Mbps. This is peferctly fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:04 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Your internet connection does not approach 72 Mbps, much less 100 Mbps, so I wouldn't worry about it.

If you're worried about file transfers, consider that not all monitoring programs (including the stock MS icon on the taskbar) take the overhead of the networking into account. For instance, if you're transfering a 10MB file, it will tell you how long that file takes to transfer .. and the speed ignores the overhead cost of the networking protocols, block headers, etc., because people are interested in how fast the file transfers, not how fast the file + overhead transfers. The loss that you're seeing is probably just the overhead.

And yes, TCP/IP can generate that much overhead .. this is one of the problems with building the internet on a protocol that is over 40 years old. :?

Post subject: Re: Any way to increase wireless internet speed from 72mbps
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:54 am 

ojloaf wrote:
I have a wireless connection, and its supposed to be 100mbps. I currently get 72mbps from being meters away from the router. Is there any way to increase this speed somehow? Thanks

To increase your internet speed use the following tips given below:
1.clear cookies from your browser
2.Delete unwanted files
3.PC Optimization:
It is important to clean your PC regularly. It means a normal maintenance tasks such as, cleaning the disks, registry repairs and Disk Derangement.
4.If you are using a DSL connection over your landline, make sure that you have high-quality filters in place to get optimum signal speed.
5.Upgrade your modem.
6.Use Updated browser.
7.Consult with your Internet service provider to ensure that your modem is configured correctly.
8.Replace your telephone modem with a fast-access connection such as wave, ISDN, DSL, satellite, a cable modem.
9.Tweak our router settings
10.Install Antivirus Software.
11.Reduce our bandwidth overhead
Still your internet speed is slow than, Contact your ISP and get a latest speed plan from them. Its better way to increase your speed
After, completing this steps, you can check our internet speed whether increase or not using this site ScanMySpeed.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:09 pm 

Plug your computer in to your router via patch cable. 72mbps is way above the national average. You never get the speed advertised. Most get little better than half so I don't see a problem with your setup. Wifi is always slower than a direct cable on the same internet connection.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:15 pm 

chaplins wrote:
ojloaf wrote:

To increase your internet speed use the following tips given below:
1.clear cookies from your browser
2.Delete unwanted files
3.PC Optimization:
It is important to clean your PC regularly. It means a normal maintenance tasks such as, cleaning the disks, registry repairs and Disk Derangement.
4.If you are using a DSL connection over your landline, make sure that you have high-quality filters in place to get optimum signal speed.
5.Upgrade your modem.
6.Use Updated browser.
7.Consult with your Internet service provider to ensure that your modem is configured correctly.
8.Replace your telephone modem with a fast-access connection such as wave, ISDN, DSL, satellite, a cable modem.
9.Tweak our router settings
10.Install Antivirus Software.
11.Reduce our bandwidth overhead
Still your internet speed is slow than, Contact your ISP and get a latest speed plan from them. Its better way to increase your speed
After, completing this steps, you can check our internet speed whether increase or not using this site ScanMySpeed.com

Answers 1,2,3 and 10 do not increase the speed of the internet.
1,2 and 3 will speed up your computer but 10 will slow it down.
Each antivirus product varies as to how much it slows down your computer but they all do.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:25 pm 

Jipstyle wrote:
Your internet connection does not approach 72 Mbps, much less 100 Mbps, so I wouldn't worry about it.

If you're worried about file transfers, consider that not all monitoring programs (including the stock MS icon on the taskbar) take the overhead of the networking into account. For instance, if you're transfering a 10MB file, it will tell you how long that file takes to transfer .. and the speed ignores the overhead cost of the networking protocols, block headers, etc., because people are interested in how fast the file transfers, not how fast the file + overhead transfers. The loss that you're seeing is probably just the overhead.

And yes, TCP/IP can generate that much overhead .. this is one of the problems with building the internet on a protocol that is over 40 years old. :?

Sorry but just exactly how is your answer helpful. The guy said he is getting 72Mbs from just meters away. That would imply he is using wi-fi and is close to his router and if it is the case then he can speed it up by connecting with a cable. Who cares if the speed is theoretical? It is still way above average overheads or not.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:47 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

First of all, the 802.11 specification has no spec for 100Mbps on wireless. It does, however, have a spec defined for 72Mbps, which is 802.11n if using 20MHz bandwidth.

Also, I'd like to know where I can get wireless internet anywhere that runs at 100Mbps. As far as I know, only the highest tier consumers for wired internet can get anything close to that. Do note that Wi-Fi is not the same as wireless internet.

To answer OP's question, assuming the system is "clean", nothing short of actually getting closer to the source or having the source be more directed towards you will increase the available bandwidth.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:16 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

can you say HOLY THREAD RESURRECTION BATMAN.... a lot has changed since the OP in 2009

BTW LatiosXT... you're way off 72Mbps for Wireless N??? Think again... try 600Mb/sec (75MB/sec) and you didn't even claim it's per channel.... N only supports 4 channel MIMO or up to 150Mb/sec per channel ;) EDIT: the implication being that yes 72Mbps is a spec of Wireless N, but is not the only, or even fastest supported spec of Wireless N.

Straight from IEEE:

IEEE 802.11 standards (Commonly referred to as Wi-Fi.)
Uses CSMA/CA
Variations include:
802.11a: 54 Mbps, 5 GHz
802.11b: 11 Mbps, 2.4 GHz
802.11g: 54 Mbps, 2.4 GHz
802.11n: 600 Mbps, 2.4 and 5 GHz
802.11ac: 1 Gbps, 5 GHz (Note: Cisco 802.11ac higher end home routers($120 & up) have 1.3Gbps bandwidth)
802.11ad: 7 Gbps, 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz, and 60 GHz

Cisco Wireless AC White Paper wrote:
802.11ac achieves its raw speed increase by pushing on three different dimensions:

• More channel bonding, increased from the maximum of 40 MHz in 802.11n, and now up to 80 or even 160 MHz (for 117% or 333% speed-ups, respectively)

• Denser modulation, now using 256 quadrature amplitude modulation (QAM), up from 802.11n's 64QAM (for a 33% speed burst at shorter, yet still usable, ranges)

• More multiple input, multiple output (MIMO). Whereas 802.11n stopped at four spatial streams, 802.11ac goes all the way to eight (for another 100% speed-up).

The design constraints and economics that kept 802.11n products at one, two, or three spatial streams haven't changed much for 802.11ac, so we can expect the same kind of product availability, with first-wave 802.11ac products built around 80 MHz and delivering up to 433 Mbps (low end), 867 Mbps (midtier), or 1300 Mbps (high end) at the physical layer. Second-generation products promise still more channel bonding and spatial streams, with plausible product configurations operating at up to 3.47 Gbps.

Just for the record, my laptop reaches 830megabits/sec bandwidth @ 5 feet from my EA-6700 Wi-Fi router which kicks ass when transferring HD video off my file server to watch when I'm away from home! But my internet is capped at 40Mbps though I rarely see better than 20Mbps, so wasted $$$ for internet use, good investment for home LAN use.

EDIT: Just to keep with the original topic... Wi-MAX 2 was supposed to top 100Mbps by 2012... but I don't think we'll see any real-world 70+ Mbps wireless internet speeds till after 2016 when Wi-Gig (802.11ad) starts to become more commonplace & with Intel already onboard the Wi-Gig train... that's pretty much a given.

Last edited by chaosdsm on Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:28 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

... God fucking dammit.

The specification for 802.11n has many data rates depending on if it's using 20MHz or 40MHz bandwidth and how many transceivers you're using. It's base form is 7.2Mbps @ 20MHz and 15Mbps @ 40MHz. At its maximum for a single transceiver, is 72.2Mbps @ 20MHz and 150Mbps @ 40Mhz.

Go do your fucking research before trying to lambast me please.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:31 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Sorry, only meant to say that you were either mistaken, or giving an incomplete story. Your information was valid to a point, but was only a tiny part of the available information. :wink:

Of course, it doesn't help matters that I also miss-wrote: I meant to say "you didn't even claim" instead of "you can't even claim" My only point was there ARE wireless standards that go up to and well beyond 100Mbps including 802.11n.

BTW.... I just studied all of this 4 weeks ago as part of my CCNA curriculum, & am currently only 1 point off a perfect grade with 1 1/2 weeks left before my first final!

But since you got me on a roll :lol: there's this:
IEEE 802.11 standards 2012 wrote:
IEEE
Std 802.11-2012 LOCAL AND METROPOLITAN AREA NETWORKS—SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS
56 Copyright © 2012 IEEE. All rights reserved.
4.3.10 High-throughput (HT) STA
The IEEE 802.11 HT STA provides PHY and MAC features that can support a throughput of 100 Mb/s and
greater, as measured at the MAC data service access point (SAP).
That's a 100Mb/s spec found within the 802.11 standard PDF - the exact details of this 100Mb/s spec are naturally found in other PDF's :roll:

Not only do I do my research - I always go to the source whenever possible when I do my research ;)

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:01 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Doktor Wirefly wrote:
Sorry but just exactly how is your answer helpful. The guy said he is getting 72Mbs from just meters away. That would imply he is using wi-fi and is close to his router and if it is the case then he can speed it up by connecting with a cable. Who cares if the speed is theoretical? It is still way above average overheads or not.

Well, for one thing, my answer was not five years late. So .. there is that.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:02 pm 

Jipstyle wrote:
Doktor Wirefly wrote:

Well, for one thing, my answer was not five years late. So .. there is that.

You have a point. There is that.
I could check the stream dates before I start to type.
However?
Late doesn't change the fact that this isn't a complicated problem and has a very simple solution.
The point of a tech blog is to help people with questions to find solutions to their problems and not really to grandstand or bombard with irrelevant information..
So basically what I am saying is. Forget all that. Just plug in a bloody cable.
The question may be old but my answer will always be helpful and easy to understand.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:01 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Doktor Wirefly wrote:
The question may be old but my answer will always be helpful and easy to understand.

Sometimes, a cable isn't a possibility... most of the ultra portable laptops & afaik all tablets are completely void of RJ-45 ports.... But hell, anything modern (2013 / 2014 devices) & semi-decent probably already has a 150Mbps wireless capability (or better) built into them, even my phone has a 150Mbps 802.11n connection :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:46 pm 

chaosdsm wrote:
Doktor Wirefly wrote:

Sometimes, a cable isn't a possibility... most of the ultra portable laptops & afaik all tablets are completely void of RJ-45 ports.... But hell, anything modern (2013 / 2014 devices) & semi-decent probably already has a 150Mbps wireless capability (or better) built into them, even my phone has a 150Mbps 802.11n connection :lol:

Fair point.
Maybe this website should update it's name from MaximumPC to MaximumAndroid or smart whatever? lol
I own a note2 and I never considered that the guy who started the thread might be using anything other than a PC or laptop.
Seems to me if what you got accomplishes what you want then it really doesn't matter what it is. Personally I like fast regardless what I am doing any given time.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:38 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Doktor Wirefly wrote:
The point of a tech blog is to help people with questions to find solutions to their problems and not really to grandstand or bombard with irrelevant information..

If that is the case, why are you replying to ME rather than the OP? You're bringing up (what you think is) a problem that hasn't existed for 5 years and harping on it. Get over yourself.