Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: How many knew Gmail did this?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:14 pm 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]

Did you know they don't enable HTTPS by default? Interesting read in this article. Anyone who uses Gmail should check it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:56 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

They've done that for the longest time. I've never had to worry about it cause I use Customize Google.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:13 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

What does this mean in practical terms?

Added note. Messages that have been in your spam or trash folders will not be deleted after thirty days. I have seen them remain well over sixty days. If you click the link to delete messages a conformation window pops up and you have to click ok. If you simply select all and then click delete, poof, they're gone. No questions ask.

Another added note. If you change your settings to show more than ten hits per page in a google search it is not a permanent change. It will revert to ten per page in roughly 24 hours.

If you use one of the extensions or utilities available to access your unused storage in gmail, and then try to transfer to much at one time, they will suspend your gmail account for a minimum of 24 hours. I'm not sure what the exact limit is but I tried to transfer a directory with several hundred photos in it and got my hand slapped.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:33 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

TheSimulatorGuy wrote:

Another added note. If you change your settings to show more than ten hits per page in a google search it is not a permanent change. It will revert to ten per page in roughly 24 hours.

Not true. Mine only reverts if my cookies are deleted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:39 am 
Northwood
Northwood

Queenof1 wrote:
TheSimulatorGuy wrote:

I hate that expression. It may not happen to you but that does not mean I am a liar. That may not be what you meant but it is what you said.

May not be true for you but it most certainly is true for me. All my other setting stick, only number of hits per page reverts. And it does it no matter what browser I use to change the setting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:48 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

TheSimulatorGuy wrote:
I hate that expression. It may not happen to you but that does not mean I am a liar. That may not be what you meant but it is what you said.

Well, no, that isn't true either.

He didn't call you a liar .. he said you're wrong (and I think that he is wrong in this case). That isn't the same thing. A lie is intentional whereas making a mistake is unintentional.

I'm not saying that either is the case here and I agree that saying 'not true' is annoying, but he isn't calling you a liar.

The assumption that you're incorrect because it works for him ... that is definitely annoying and a very common mistake made in PC forums. Just 'cause something works for A doesn't mean that it will work for B.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:46 pm 

TheSimulatorGuy wrote:

If you're not using HTTPS then it means your personal info is being transmitted in the clear for everyone to read.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:43 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

TheSimulatorGuy wrote:
Queenof1 wrote:
TheSimulatorGuy wrote:

May not be true for you but it most certainly is true for me. All my other setting stick, only number of hits per page reverts. And it does it no matter what browser I use to change the setting.

I didn't call you a liar. Research your facts or add the disclaimer "this is what happens to me when I use [insert YOUR system / software configuration]". Or just be wrong gracefully. Sheesh, someone woke up on the wrong side of the keyboard.

@jip you should know I'm a girl by now or do you need proof? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:36 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Queenof1 wrote:
@jip you should know I'm a girl by now or do you need proof? :)

Well, you know that I'm not going to turn down proof! ;)

I didn't realise that it was your post that had upset TSG or I'd have used appropriate pronouns. My humblest apologies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:43 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

So how does this translate when you're using an email client with gmail?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:16 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

It doesn't. You use secure ports when using a client.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:09 am 
Northwood
Northwood

I recommend Thunderbird. It's free and it works like a champ. If you didn't already know it, you can still use gmail as your smtp in an email client. You don't have to use your ISP. I have a separate paid for account and a corporate account provided by my employer and I use Tbird to download mail from both of them plus my gmail accounts and use gmail to send mail no matter which account I'm replying to.