Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: The perfect web-browser...
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:11 am 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

I've been on a Web-browser kick lately. I've always liked Firefox, but I've also always been curious to see what other browsers are up to. I guess I'm just bored with Firefox.

I really like Opera, both the 9.64 version, as well as the 10 Beta, but there are little things that are deal breakers to me. Like, when messages pop up on Facebook (like after completing a survey or something), they won't go away. I'm a regular Facebook user, so this bugs me enough to make it a big deal. I've also experienced certain pages just not loading correctly, or certain features just not working. Opera's saving grace is the Speed Dial feature. When opening a new tab, you can have 9 or 12 (the 10 Beta lets you adjust this number from 4 to 25) previews of your favorite sites. Google Chrome also has this feature, but Opera 10 is the first to really make the number of Speed Dial sites adjustable. I like having more than 9, but I can't really think of more than 25 sites I visit often. Opera's other plus is that it's available for more than one OS. I move back and forth between Linux and Windows and would prefer to use the same browser for each OS.

I really like Google Chrome. It's fast, easy to use, and very simple. However, it isn't without it's faults. One thing that really really bugs me is how it handles text entry. I'm here on the forums a lot when I'm at my computer, and I'm usually posting something. It seems that only in text entry areas like the one I'm using now is that the first 4 to 30+ characters of a line won't show up unless I keep typing. They'll be there if I preview or submit my post, but I don't see them as long as I'm in the text entry area. Also, lets say I write a paragraph but want to change the way I word something. If I go back and change it, Chrome won't move the rest of text forward or backwards in relation to what I'm typing. It will simply let me type over it, until I again click out side of the text entry area, or preview/submit my post. It's not uncommon for me to write a post that's long enough for this forum to flag it as spam or something. All I have to do is go back, refresh, and click submit, right? That works in Firefox. In Chrome, I'm greeted to a brand new empty text entry area, losing the long post I just wrote. A very quick way to piss me off. Other than those relatively minor issues, I haven't had any rendering issues with pages, speed is usually fast (not much faster than Firefox really). My other gripe for Google Chrome is it's non-availability for Linux. I know that Google apps are eventually ported to Linux, but Google really should make a Linux client of Chrome.

I've tried Safari and it wasn't very intuitive at all. I can see where Google got it's design cues from, but Chrome definitely did it right IMHO. Like having the "close button for tabs on the right instead of the left, and it's much simpler to edit your speed dial pages instead of going with whatever Apple guesses you might look at the most.

I've also spent some time with Flock. Flock is a Firefox-based browser that's supposed to feature better integration with Web2.0 services like Facebook, MySpace, Flickr, Photobucket, Twitter, etc. It's speed is slightly slower than Firefox, and the extra features are kinda cool. However, while some of the Flock reviews I've read (I learned about Flock a while back, but just recently gave it another go based on a couple rave reviews I read about it's version 2.5 release) said that it really does a great job of integrating your various accounts with your web-browsing, it feels more bolt-on than built-in. It really feels like Firefox with a new theme and a really cool add-on for account integration.

I have not tried IE8. After all of the Security issues I've heard about with Internet Explorer, I really haven't had any desire to give it ago. Based on my use of the browser in previous versions, there was never anything truly innovative about it. It usually copied features from Firefox and Opera from what I've seen.

Are there any other browsers I'm missing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:19 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Kick it old school...Lynx :)

In all seriousness, Safari is really the only other one I've used outside of IE and Firefox. I thought Sun had a java browser, but I'm failing to find it now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:16 pm 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

I've used Lynx in the past for a stretch of about a week, after which I missed using things like Pandora, Youtube, and Hulu.

Regarding Safari, I used the Safari 4 Beta. It was supposed to be really fast, as well as the Opera 10 beta. Neither were particularly fast. Chrome is the only one that stands out in regards of speediness.

I know what you're talking about with Sun's Java browser. I too remeber hearing something about it. I'll give a look for it. I like most programs I get from Sun. Every Java app @'ve got on my rig is slow as hell though. Limewire makes my speedy harddrive feel like my old 9Gb Scuzzy drive on a PII.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:52 am 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

furball146 wrote:
I thought Sun had a java browser, but I'm failing to find it now.

I found it. I just fired up HotJava 3.0 and I found out why it took some looking now. It's EOL process could have a 5th birthday coming up, and it only looks to handle HTML.

http://java.sun.com/products/archive/hotjava/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:31 am 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

Try K-Meleon another Firefox based browser.

Also, I would at least try IE8, it's a lot safer than previous versions and there are some feature of the tabs that really make it stand out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:43 pm 

Iron is pretty nice, it's Chrome without all the personal data collection.

http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:53 pm 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

right now I'm just happy firefox 3.5 actually works with this forum! for some reason, on WinXP 64-bit, 3.0 wouldn't log on to this particular forum, so I had to use IE. Tried using a home-brewed 64-bit build of 3.0, and found it wasn't compatible with flash player... but this works!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:23 pm 
Million Club 5+ [PC]*
Million Club 5+ [PC]*

I like the extensibility of FF, I cant really think of anything I don't like about it

wait... yes I can. I don't like FF 3.5's new icon.

yes, I'm that petty :lol: