Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Hosting Private Email Server
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:05 pm 

Greetings,

Well this has been a project burning in my mind for many months now. But I want to host my own email server. But the biggest problem is what OS should I use, and what software? I also need to know what kind of security software I should be using, regular personal firewall? It will be used only for email so most other ports will be locked down, and I'm hoping I can restrict access to a very small list of computers/IPs. I've heard of using Linux, but I have never even dove into that OS. Naturally, I'm interested in something that's free and open source if possible, and very feature rich (most popular features). I would greatly appreciate any and all help, thanks.

Edit: I'm starting to change my mind, just let me shed some light on what I am looking for. First off, I don't like the fact that all my email messages are just sitting on a server I don't have hardly any control over, and completely unencrypted which really urkes me. I also need access to at least a few hundred email addresses. etc0@example.com, etc1@example.com, etc2@example.com, and so on, and preferably at my own domain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:57 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Email is going to be some where on some server no matter what. So if that is your only goal you might as well forget about it.

There are lots of things you can do both under Windows or Linux/Unix. you'll have to be more specific.

Post subject: Not free or Open
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:19 am 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)
Monkey Federation (Top 10)

We use First Class here at the office. It's not free but it is nice having full control of all your email messages.

Post subject: Re: Not free or Open
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:26 am 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

idaiki wrote:
We use First Class here at the office. It's not free but it is nice having full control of all your email messages.

I have used that software in the past at my last job (in IT for a school board), it was good as long as you stay 1 or 2 versions behind the current one :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:30 am 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

As far as I know the standard way to do this these days is to have a computer running Windows Server 2003/2008 and and installing Microsoft Exchange. Thought I have no clue how to set it up as I have never done it.