Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Must. Have. Dark... Fiber!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:48 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/news/04/12/darkfiber.html

Damnit that just sounds so cool; Dark fiber technology.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:40 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Yea. Dark Fiber is just fiber that is pre-run and not lit via optical gear and repeaters. Usually telcom companies buy it from other telcom companies to reach geographic areas they currently have no footprint.

It exists becuase when companies run fiber (Level3, Qwest, XO, WilTel, GC and the likes) they don't run just one strand..they will run 96+ for it to be cost effective

By leasing the unused pairs, it helps to defray the costs of the install...

The cost of the optical gear is extremely expensive not to mention in a true dark fiber lease, you need to put regen gear to boost the signal every several miles or so...this isn't really practical for your normal-Joe businesses...mostly for those who plan on reselling and oversubscribing.

There is also a hybrid called 'dim' fiber, meaning the regen facilities are in place and certain portions of the infrastructure are lit..still leaving flexibility to the leasee....

anyway...dark fiber has been around since they ran the first strand of fiber......

good article tho.

Post subject: I work in the telecom field...
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:36 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

I used to work at Qwest and work for a smaller telecom company called Vartec now.
But when I worked at Qwest, we had so much dark fiber being unused it was ridiculous (note that it is spelled correctly). In the Chicago office I worked at downtown, over half of the fiber down there was totally unused.
I would have loved to have been able to tie into the dark fiber network there, but unfortunately the dark fiber was being worked on all of the time to prep it for new contracts that no one could use it.
If they ever had a network like that for Chicagoin use, I'd be all over it like a crack hoar trying to get my next rock.

AGN Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:07 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

back-in-the-day I thought companies like Qwest with national right-of-ways would be the ones to ultimately thrive...and maybe they will...I guess the game is still not over.

Qwest and their railroad ROWs
Willaims with their gas pipelines