Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Can't connect directly through cable modem
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:24 am 
Team Member Top 1000
Team Member Top 1000

Crazy thing?

I cleaned up my neighbors PC, hard times are here and he's saving up for a new PC.

So I hooked it up on my network, running through a linksys router. Did the usual stuff, cleaned up spam, updated his drivers and stuff. Took it back to his place hooked it up to his cable modem, (same modem I have, but no router on his system). No connection to the internet! Okay, maybe I scewed his NIC drivers, took it back hooked it back up on my network, and it connected to the internet, no problem.

So I shut my network down, directly hooked his PC to my modem. Fired the modem up, waited to be sure it was up. Powered up his PC, waited to be sure it's all up and running, can't connect to the internet.

It's an old PC, WIN 98, IE 6.

We both have Motorola SB4200 Surfboard cable modems.

I did the same steps with my PC and I connected up with no problem.

What am I over looking?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:58 am 
Hired Gun
Hired Gun

Did you restart his modem? If that doesn't work call the Cable Company support line and see if they can connect. It's possible he has a bad modem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:30 am 
Team Member Top 1000
Team Member Top 1000

He and I have the same modem. I tried it on my modem. Went through the IE wizard to set up a connection. It will work if I use my linksys router but if I take everything down and connect only to my modem. Bring the modem up, then the PC it still dosen't connect to the Inernet. Did the same steps using my own PC everything works.

I even did a ipgonfig /release_all and then an ipconfig /renew_all.

I do an ipconfig it hase an IP/Address. I'm confussed. And I have to stop offering to help my neighbors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:37 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

1. what's the ip address? Make sure it's dynamic.
2. Make sure you uncheck any proxy settings when running inetwiz.
3. Cable company will only make sure the modem is working. Win98 is extinct.
4. Just checked with my company. SB4200 is extinct as well.
5. Sometimes it's the simple things. Make sure the modem is not in standby mode.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:37 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I know that Cox out here no longer "supports" Win 98(meaning we are not supposed to do an install if the pc is running 98, Hell if I am going to lose over $20 because of the customers OS). Also the SB 4200 is a "retired" modem(meaning that thing is to old).
So make sure that you disconnect everything from the modem. Then reboot the modem. then connect the PC and turn it on. Just doing an Ipconfig /release - /renew will not fix it the modem needs to be restarted. If that does not fix the problem call the cable company and make sure that the modem is provisioned correctly (customer support may mess it up), check with them that the serial # and mac address are correct, if all that is good then have them send out a tech I have seen to many cases of the CSR goofed something up and a quick call gets it all working again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:02 am 
Team Member Top 1000
Team Member Top 1000

Last night I ran it thru my linksys modem - AGAIN, did a ipconfig all and saw everything, IP/Address, Submask, gateway, DHCP Server, Host Name.

You know everything. Then connected to the internet with no problems. The linksys is providing the addressing for this PC.

So I brought down everything Linksys, Modem, PC. Gave the Modem 5 minutes of down time, then started it up, waited for it to be completely up. Then started the PC directly connected to the modem (no Linksys in between). Did an ipconfig all and saw everything again. Identical to what I saw when going through the linksys.

Tried to connect to the internet and failed. That I expected, because everything is pointing as if it's going through the linksys.

So I did a ipconfig release, ipconfig renew. And got a new IP/address, but I am now missing the Gateway DHCP Server addresses and the MAC Address. And of course it won't connect to the internet.

Yep I know that WIN 98 is a dead OS. But that's what he's got for the moment and I know that our modems are old also.

I'm going to take the PC back to his place tonight and connect it all up. Then I'm going to call the cable company (Comcast) and see if they can get us back up. Remember it was working before I took it and put it on my network. (Bad Me!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:18 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

What is the IP address you get when connected straight to the modem? Make sure that the nic is not manually asigned an IP address.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:21 am 
Team Member Top 1000
Team Member Top 1000

Ok. Last night hooked everything back up at the neighbors house. PC connected directly to the cable modem. Powered up the modem, after waiting to be sure the modem was up, powered up the PC.

Tried to connect to the internet, no luck. So did a ipconfig release and then a renew. Still no luck. But now I'm not getting everything I should be getting when I view the ipconfig all.

Called Comcast at that point. The tech did his thing and said there were problems with the modem. Said he could get a tech out there in a couple days or I could go and exchange the modem today, at the service center. Neighbor picked up the new modem this morning. I connected everything back up. Did all the steps I've done in the past and MAGIC. This morning we have internet.

So, we learn as we go. A call to the network provider right from the start to check the modem would have solved this issue.

This morning I had Comcast check my modem, and I'm getting the same errors. So I will be exchanging mine.

Thanks to all that read this thread, and thanks to everyone who gave there input.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:08 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

dmcheck wrote:

So, we learn as we go. A call to the network provider right from the start to check the modem would have solved this issue.

This morning I had Comcast check my modem, and I'm getting the same errors. So I will be exchanging mine.

Thanks to all that read this thread, and thanks to everyone who gave there input.

Well, if you hadn't posted here, you wouldn't have known that the modem was EOL. And being that I work for a major telecommunication company :wink: I was able to confirm that for you. I'm glad you got it up and running. I'm a major Internetaholic myself.