Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Can you call a phone from your pc free?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:58 am 
B& Hammer - Cleans Forums Good

I was wondering if there is a way to call someones phone from your pc for free using like a mic and speakers on the pc? And if you do how does it show up on caller id out of curiosity.

Friend of mine is long distance and wanted to see if I could call via pc to them on their phone, normally we chat on steam when playing games but they are having their cable company re-lay all the underground cable or something and he wont have internet for like 4 days maybe 5.

Normal minutes are up on my cell phone this month so thought maybe I could do it this way and not have to pay extra.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:59 am 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]

Skype?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:02 am 
Klamath
Klamath

bigtoyota479 wrote:
Skype?

that is only free if your calling another computer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:03 am 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]

Oh damn. I'm striking out left and right today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:24 am 
Northwood
Northwood

True Skype is not free but is really, really cheap. I call the States from Korea for around 2 cents a minute. You do need a credit card to set up the account and I think the minimum you can start with is US $10.00. You might also look at MagicJack. US $20.00 for the dongle and US $20.00 a year for unlimited calls.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:27 am 

TheSimulatorGuy wrote:
True Skype is not free but is really, really cheap. I call the States from Korea for around 2 cents a minute. You do need a credit card to set up the account and I think the minimum you can start with is US $10.00. You might also look at MagicJack. US $20.00 for the dongle and US $20.00 a year for unlimited calls.

Thanks for the input all of ya. But yeah dont need anything I pay for this would only be needed for like 5 days maybe, just something to use till he gets his internet back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:08 pm 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

There is a reason this isn't found for free...

Any VOIP solution involving normal phone lines (or cell phones) will not be free.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:01 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Closest thing to free is Magicjack. The hardware costs less than Can$40 and you can make free calls to any phone in Canada or the US for a year. After that it's $20/year unless you buy 5 years for $60 (a dollar a month).

I've used one for a few months and it's already paid for itself many times over. It works great with lots of volume and faithful sound. In fact it sounds closer to a regular landline than any cellphone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:05 am 
Northwood
Northwood

JimboToronto wrote:
Closest thing to free is Magicjack. The hardware costs less than Can$40 and you can make free calls to any phone in Canada or the US for a year. After that it's $20/year unless you buy 5 years for $60 (a dollar a month).

I've used one for a few months and it's already paid for itself many times over. It works great with lots of volume and faithful sound. In fact it sounds closer to a regular landline than any cellphone.

If I only needed to call the US or Canada MJ would be ideal but I need to be able to call other countrys, such as Thailand and The Philippines, from South Korea. Skype works fine for this and at 2 cents a minute the cost over a years time is actually less than MJ. Yahoo has a similar service to Skype though I've never tried it.