Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: IE7 - Clearing all cookies on browser close
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:54 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Using Internet Explorer 7, I would like to have the browser delete all cookies every time that the browser is closed.

A couple of notes about my particular situation:
  • Cookies are required during a browsing session, so they can not be disabled.
  • Alternative browsers are currently not an option.
  • The cache is already being deleted using the advanced settings option "Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed".
  • This process cannot be manually done each time it is required, the environment will be restricted via group policy and Internet Options will not be accessible to the people using the computer.

Edit: I am running Windows Vista Business and am joined to a domain.

Last edited by GPFontaine on Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:31 am 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

I'm almost positive there was an option for automating that in Microsoft Powertoys under the Paranoia tab.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:51 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

This will clean those cookies and loads of other crap!
http://www.ccleaner.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:30 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Flytrap7 wrote:
I'm almost positive there was an option for automating that in Microsoft Powertoys under the Paranoia tab.

It is my fault for not stating this in my original post. I need to have this work on Windows Vista Business Edition on a domain.

With that cleared up, Flytrap, I am not sure if there is a powertoy offering that can manage this. However, if there is, or if it is a registry tweak, I would be happy to use that .

kleinkinstein wrote:
This will clean those cookies and loads of other crap!
http://www.ccleaner.com

Is there a way to automate Ccleaner after each browsing session?

Edit: it is too bad that IE8 isn't out yet. The iexplore -private command would be wonderful for me right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:51 pm 

yes open ie7, on right upper side, click tools, internet option, or you cant go to your control panel, then internet options, now. click the advanced tab. scroll down to Security and check the box for "empty temporary internet files when closed". there are also a few registry hacks but i dont just give these out, u can search for them yourself.
personally i dont use ie7 or any ie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:41 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

Naw-yi wrote:
yes open ie7, on right upper side, click tools, internet option, or you cant go to your control panel, then internet options, now. click the advanced tab. scroll down to Security and check the box for "empty temporary internet files when closed". there are also a few registry hacks but i dont just give these out, u can search for them yourself.
personally i dont use ie7 or any ie.

The OP is already doing that... :?
Quote:
The cache is already being deleted using the advanced settings option "Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed".

Actually the IE 8 beta is out, I've tried it and its pretty stable. Also the InPrivate Browing works too which doesn't save anything. (Except Bookmarks if i remember correctly.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:14 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Airheadq wrote:
Actually the IE 8 beta is out, I've tried it and its pretty stable. Also the InPrivate Browing works too which doesn't save anything. (Except Bookmarks if i remember correctly.)

I have tested this out and it is amazing for what I want to do.

Unfortunately I can't use the beta/RC product because I don't want to install the group policy preferences for IE8 until they are finalized. That could just get messy. This means I can't control it via GPO. There are over 1,000 IE8 settings in group policy, so the move to IE8 will surely be a rough one.

Should anyone come up with additional hints on how to get IE7 to auto clear the cookies I am still open to suggestions. However, It looks like I will be waiting for IE8 to be released.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:42 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

Can you give me a time frame on this? If you can wait till IE 8 to be released then iI would suggest that. If it has to be much sooner then Ill keep on this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:23 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Airheadq wrote:
Can you give me a time frame on this? If you can wait till IE 8 to be released then iI would suggest that. If it has to be much sooner then Ill keep on this.

I would say that it is about 30 days.

I would like to deploy within that time period.

IE8 would require some significant work since I would have to learn all of the GPO settings, but it is worth it. On the other hand, if there is a solution for IE7 it would be perfect since it would reduce my workload ;)