Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Looking for a good membership management tool
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:41 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I have create several websites but now I am looking to restrict certain areas of my website and I am also looking to redirect a user to a certain area based on their password. I would also like to have the option to let people retrieve lost passwords. Below are a few examples of some software that I found:
http://encodable.com/userbase/
http://www.locked-area.com/
I now some people may tell me to just buy those but I am looking for a secure and trustworthy open source program. If anyone can let me know what they use I would greatly appreciate it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:28 am 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*

It sounds like you want Non-Secure and Secure pages within the web. Doing this without any third party tools or applications isn't all that difficult.

THIS page explains how to do it in .asp script. The code in the link is easily edited for and number of desired applications.

Users upon login could be directed to a page based on their logon credentials. All usernames and their respective passwords are saved in a database. Users forgetting their passwords could be directed to a non-secure page and use a form to request their password and the password automatically emailed to them.

The link makes refrence to Expression Web but that really matters not as the .asp code sample will run on any server supporting .asp scripting.

A very simple running example of this can be found HERE

Use the first link to try and enter the secured page. Then click the password protected page link. You are taken to a logon.

username: bear
password: biscuits

The examples are very plain and basic but you get the idea.

To my way of thinking doing your own code opens the door for more possibilities.

Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:07 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

That is EXACTLY what I was looking for, but I have a Linux server. Any ideas on how to make ASP run on a Linux server?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:42 pm 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*

When it comes to Linux Server apps I am clueless. You may want to check with your server people as to what can be done.

Maybe someone else has a thought?

Ron