Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: will google do this?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:27 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

do you think that one of those days, google will make an annuncement that they will host 1GB of website space for free? it is so hard to find a decent free web hosting services.

I used to use KILLMEPLEASE.com, which claimed to give out 100MB for free... but now they just changed the term, so it is 40MB, instead of 100.. also, as a free user, you can only have 50 files at max... pretty sad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:24 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

The problem with free is that someone has to pay for it weather it is the company or you. I doubt that we will ever see "free" hosting that is reliable and solid. There are solutions out there that are fairly cheap. Perhaps one of those will work better for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:16 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I agree with you, DaFlake, that there is no real free stuff... one way or another, someone has to pay for it. Even gmail inserts ads to the mail messages... however, I don't mind inserts or banners, as long as the host service doesn't play tricks... wouldn't you be ticked off if you sign up for gmail and they say: "yes, we will give you 1GB of free storage, however, you can only send/receive 50 email messages. if you want to send/receive unlimited number of messages, you must pay us an annual fee of $XX".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 3:16 pm 

Well, if it's "free" like Gmail is "free" (contains context-sensitive in-line advertising) then I don't want it... :roll:

Post subject: Re: will google do this?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 3:39 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

emanresu wrote:
do you think that one of those days, google will make an annuncement that they will host 1GB of website space for free? it is so hard to find a decent free web hosting services.

I used to use KILLMEPLEASE.com, which claimed to give out 100MB for free... but now they just changed the term, so it is 40MB, instead of 100.. also, as a free user, you can only have 50 files at max... pretty sad.

freewebs.com didn't work, but KILLMEPLEASE.com does and is one of the worst sites that I have ever seen! How the hell do people like this get jobs?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:09 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

it is http://KILLMEPLEASE.com, not freeweb.com

a lot of evil websites out there play with the singular/plural(spelling?) forms to elude victims... for example, if you type

http://www.nationalgeographics.com (notice the extra s in this case), you will go to some magzine subscription site...

KILLMEPLEASE.com is alright.. at least they dont have pop ups and crap like that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:13 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

emanresu wrote:
it is http://KILLMEPLEASE.com, not freeweb.com

a lot of evil websites out there play with the singular/plural(spelling?) forms to elude victims... for example, if you type

http://www.nationalgeographics.com (notice the extra s in this case), you will go to some magzine subscription site...

KILLMEPLEASE.com is alright.. at least they dont have pop ups and crap like that

That is strange - the first two times I click on freewebs.com it didn't come up, but the third did (a little slow though). Much better layout. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:12 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

could be a problem with the DNS your using. maybe it had to request the IP all the way up from the top level servers...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:21 am 

I just finished reading through the Playboy interview with the founders of Google. Although they make no specific reference to free web hosting, they do speak of ideas for future services and I for one would not be surprised to see a hosting service. The odds on that I believe, depend on the success (or failure) of GMail as the same tactics would have to be used, ie. advertising pays for the space.