Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Can anyone offer some hosting advice?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:22 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

This is all a bit new to me.

I'd like to setup a website for a project I will start working on here in the near future. I already have my domain purchased and am looking for possible hosters.

Domain was bought through godaddy. (might cause me problems?)

What I would like:
The main bulk of the site to be wiki based.
A main front page, not the wiki as the front page.
Ability to have the .com, .org, and .net version of my domain point to the same site. Currently I only have purchased the .com, will buy the others once I know I can do this.

The ability to have a second site/domain on this same service would be nice (like, for a personal site), but I think that pushes me into reseller space.. not sure if I want to go there.

The ability to have a shopping cart at some point would be nice. Hopefully this project site will evolve into being a display for all the weird gizzmo's I design. Under the assumption that someone wants to buy something one day, I'd like to have that ability.

Aside from that, I'm not sure what I need. I don't forsee needing a lot of space or bandwidth, but you never know. The wiki's have the potential to suck a lot of space, especially if I start dumping CAD drawings, schematics, and layouts to them. An SVN repository would be nice in that respect.

These are the 4 places I am looking at right now:
http://www.blurstorm.com/s_hosting.htm
http://www.hostgator.com/shared.shtml
http://www.lunarpages.com/solutions/
http://www.polurnet.com/shared/

Thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:04 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

You could just use GoDaddy's hosting? I don't have any experience with it but sometimes it is nice to keep all of your services with the same vendor.

I have an account here: http://www..1and1.com

I have 4 or 5 domains hosted on the same account. Great up time. Lots of space. It should handle all of your needs just fine. My account is <$10 per month. Most of my domains have been registered through GoDaddy as well.

One thing with having your own SVN repo. It is going to be difficult in a hosted situation. Unless you get a VPS (Virtual Private Server, I have an account with hostican.com that works out great, but is around $550 / year) or a dedicated server ($90+ per month) you are going to have little ability to do this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:37 am 
Team Member
Team Member

I've heard some negative feedback on 1and1, but I'll give them a look again.

SVN isn't necessary, just somethign I've used before to manage projects like this and it was worked well so I thought I'd try and make it an option.

Really, I just want the ability to be able to share documentation in a usable manner so others can make use/modify what I put together.

Ya, I've thought about using godaddy as well. The hosts I listed were some of the top rated from here: http://webhostingjury.com

I'll look at what godaddy offers, assuming they can be competitive price wise I'm fine with using them for the most part, although they do have the own rather loud set of critics..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:41 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I have one site hosted on 1&1 they are ok but not the best I have used. My domain is registered through godaddy and I am having some major problems with the email for the domain. 1&1 does not seem to play nice when your domain is not registered with them as far as email goes. other than that they are good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:51 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Xman wrote:
I have one site hosted on 1&1 they are ok but not the best I have used. My domain is registered through godaddy and I am having some major problems with the email for the domain. 1&1 does not seem to play nice when your domain is not registered with them as far as email goes. other than that they are good.

What sort of problems are you having? You probably don't have your MX records configured properly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:55 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I have 2 domains one registered at Go Daddy that is the 'real domain", the other registered with 1&1 which then redirects to the "real domain". The email address for the "real domain" I set up don't seem to work. So I have to use the redirected domain email addresses to forward to a couple of different gmail accounts. I would just like to have the "real domain" emails forward to the gmail accounts. this is only an issue because it is for a business, and having email address that don't closley match the domain is not so professional in my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:27 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

hosting24.com

and... byethost.com

Byethost is a good webhost company.

Hosting24, likewise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:34 pm 
7yrs+11,000 Posts
7yrs+11,000 Posts

http://www.surpasshosting.com

I have been with them for 5 years. Flawless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:36 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Another great hosting company, one I'm Staff with, is: Digibase Networks

We'd be more than willing to help you out in regards to your requirements for hosting.

We're able to customize most anything you'd need for your webhosting to your requirements.

Just a thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:50 am 

Dreamhost has worked great for me. And they have 1-click-installs of a bunch of applications.