Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Something like RSS but with email
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:36 pm 
Team Member Top 1000
Team Member Top 1000

does anyone know of a way a webmaster (who really isn't a webmaster doesn't know a lot about computers, had the site done for him) can create something like an RSS feed but instead of RSS (who most of his site visitors have no idea about) have like an emailed newsletter type thing that's like automated?

sorry if it's confusing and I hope this is the right forum, couldn't find one that this would fall under

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:50 am 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*

I am not sure where you want to go with this? If the goal is to send out a monthly/weekly newsletter to site visitors you would start with placing a form on the site to collect visitor information startting with their email address. That collected information would be moved to a data base of sorts (this could be as simple as a MS Access data base or a MSSQL or MYSQL data base) depending on what your site server supports. Visitors visit the site and if they have an interest in a newsletter they fill out a form and subscribe.

That is only the beginning. The actual newsletter is updated on a regular basis and code written to send it getting the email addresses from the data base.

Something like that what you are looking for?

There is also third party software that can do this.

Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:58 am 
Team Member Top 1000
Team Member Top 1000

yeah I think so. the person using this doesn't know much about computers so if I could write some php code or something then make it as simple as possible for him to send it out it'd be great. I'll have to find out if the server uses sql or not. I should hope that it would support php.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:21 pm 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*

The database link found here:

http://www.theblain.com/

Shows an example of what a simple form would look like to gather some visitor information. The collected data is dumped into a simple Access database. The actual DB is in the root of the web. The page was done in .ASP but could likely be done in .PHP.

Automated email sending could be added to get the email addresses from the DB and send a newsletter or anything else if the visitor clicks the checkbox.

Another method would be to have the form results emailed to a webmaster or whoever and the recipient would manually add the information to a local machine database, then publish and send out the newsletter manually.

There are several options to all of this. Good luck and the best starting point is to find out exactly what the server side is running, what databases are available, and what languages it supports.

Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:45 pm 
Team Member Top 1000
Team Member Top 1000

alright that's what I'll do, also, if there is no DB couldn't I just like store the emails in a text file? I know it would be recklessly insecure but maybe I could throw some ftp protection on it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:24 pm 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*

AndyYankee17 wrote:
alright that's what I'll do, also, if there is no DB couldn't I just like store the emails in a text file? I know it would be recklessly insecure but maybe I could throw some ftp protection on it?

Sure. What you are doing is making a form that collects data, in this case site visitor information. That is all a web form is going to do. Matter of fact it won't do anything with the data until we tell it what to do.

We can even create a simple HTML form. Then we add some controls to the form. Textboxes, dropdowns, checkboxes, buttons and other controls. The collected data can be dumped into a .txt file. That would be like saving form results to a text file or email.

Just for the hell of it, once you get the server information this may work:

http://www.microsoft.com/express/vwd/

It is free. You could reverse publish the web to your local machine. If you have XP Pro or a better version of Vista you can set up IIS. Then mess with the web on your local machine. That would get you going. You will need the user ID and password for the web.

Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:46 pm 
Team Member Top 1000
Team Member Top 1000

alright thanks for the help. I am thinking php or maybe java, which I'm studying now doesn't seem like the right platform for this though. I haven't used aspx at all so I would feel a little more comfortable using something else

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:09 am 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*

PHP & Java will also work fine. Let us know how things go for you.

Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:15 am 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*

This may help:

http://www.beansoftware.com/ASP.NET-Tut ... mails.aspx

Though done in .asp it really covers things well and includes a nice download package.

Ron