Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Does Firefox still leak??
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:19 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

I use FF version 3.0.5 currently, and it still seems to have a memory issue just like the last v2's had. Just coming to this site has me using 64m, and from 15 minutes of just posting, I'm up to 96M. You can watch it slowly ramp up like a clock.

What do you guys see? Is it just the forums?

[Edit: Went to "K", then back to Meg...ya, it uses big Megs IMO]

Last edited by Chumly on Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:44 pm 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

I'm not getting a memory leak myself. With 10 tabs open, it's using between 240k and IE7 is hitting 280K. FF has a max variance of 50k over a seven hour perid that these tabs have been open.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:25 pm 
Hired Gun
Hired Gun

Yeah it leaks oil all over my fucking desk, damn gaskets aren't worth a damn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:15 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Quakindude wrote:
I'm not getting a memory leak myself. With 10 tabs open, it's using between 240k and IE7 is hitting 280K. FF has a max variance of 50k over a seven hour perid that these tabs have been open.
You sure that is in K?

I usually sit around 230 MB at work. Right now, I am sitting at 140,960 k. ~138MB. Chrome only has pandora open launched from the app shortcut and it is at 52,908 K ~ 52mb.

I don't know that it leaks, just so much as it uses a lot of memory for me. I tend to have 20-30 tabs open at any given time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:19 am 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

When you have five tabs open that automatically refresh, like Foxnews, CNN, Slacker feeding, Gmail and so on, it pulls more memory. If I have ten tabs of static web pages open, the memory footprint is much smaller. That's what I've noticed anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:43 am 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

I tried opening 4 tabs at once, then 42 tabs at once, then closing all but one tab and finally using FF3 normally (maybe six or eight tabs open) for about 20 minutes. The result: 122MB used and staying there until I close FF.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:33 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I will be the last person to say that FF leaks were fixed but are you guys sure its not something else?

FF 3 has functionality to speed up browsing activities like saving the data from the tabs you close, as well as previous pages accessed from those tabs so if you accidentally close a tab you can have it back in less than a second instead of potentially several seconds (if ff had to open its history db which could be huge and fragmented to hell and then parse the potentially processor choking info etc).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:53 am 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

My point being, I don't think FF does leak any more. If it does, then it is doing an impressive job of plugging and bailing on the fly. FF 3.0 and above have been great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:10 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Quote:
Yeah it leaks oil all over my fucking desk, damn gaskets aren't worth a damn.

Just like a fucking Harley...piece of shit!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:22 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

An older article but informative: http://internetducttape.com/2006/12/02/ ... efox-hack/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:45 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Thanks Urmmsacow, been trying to remember to get back in here and check on some sections I'm not been frequenting...about forgot!

I'm trying to get the secondary box here to use a bit less memory, and while monitoring the others, this one just stuck out like a sore thumb. I usually just go to the forums and don't tab and all that generally. I might tab to photobucket, but not all the time. It'll freak out whether I tab or not; just give it enough time. Stay an hour, and it even slows down my typing.

Right when I signed on I came to this section, and here's it's usage:

Tab to Photobucket:
And when I close the tab, it stays there. Same with clearing the cache and all private data. Same if I disable all add-on's which was my first thought. In that second pic, it's using almost 3x's as much as PaintShop with the two converted pictures being used.

So doesn't that seem very excessive to go up 50M just to save a tabbed session or anything neato feature FF has? The only thing I can think it is is saving the session, but then I'd think it would release some of it once the tab was closed.

Anyway, I saw no change from FF2 up to today and I thought that was a big point in moving up to 3.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:13 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Like I said I think it saves the tab's whole session, So if you open a photobucket tab and several new pages it saves them all simply for fast recall.

Did you try any of the tweaks in that article? I haven't personally because I have 2 GB of ram and rarely run more than 25 processes, my machine stays fast all the time :)

I'd try closing down FAH for awhile to see if that helps. I know this won't settle well with the evangelists here but that program tends to cause slow down issues no matter how many times they "fix" it or "optimize it" ... I think it may be a problem with the windows thread management implementation or something but some apps just soak up cpu resources no matter what priority they're set to. A few years ago I couldn't burn a DVD with it running no matter how I set the process priority of FAH and nero.

I'm sure if you search around the mozilla forums that someone has figured out how to tweak the saved tab functionality the way you want it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:41 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Some of the tweaks listed on that page are here (http://acomment.net/8-great-tips-to-red ... -usage/566) with a few other ones. Included a couple other tweaks. I have added both of the plug-ins and so far (I have just restarted FF so I haven't hit my normal usage yet). My peak was around 320MB and the memory usage stabilized around 230MB. So far after adding the tweaks etc, I am sitting at 110MB. We will see what happens.

I will say, I do have a fair number of plug-ins so that probably makes my usage higher than usual.

Edit: Just tried minimizing the window. The one plug in is fantastic. The memory drops down to 9MB and then grows back up to settle around 50MB. I restore the window to edit this post and it goes back up around 65MB. I would say that this is pretty freaking awesome reductions considering my normal could hit well over 200MB. We will have to see how things go tomorrow when I open it up and assault it with 30 or so tabs over an hour or two while I do my news in the AM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:19 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Update:

Check this shit out. I just rebooted, came to the forums, and this is what I get after 20 minutes, and this forum only!
Chew on that abit. I'm not asking it to do anything but post words on a BBcoded forum.

Removed Video Download helper and the auto-inserted Skype thing, and it's back to 100K. Doh...it's building again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:23 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Thats what you get for posting on a forum full of bloat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:18 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

Add-ons contribute to bloat if no one has mentioned it already. Also, I periodically clear the caches too. Right now I have 5 tabs up (all maximum pc), 22 add-ons (anything thats present there) haven't clear the cache and I get 98k.