Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Cable vs DSL
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:32 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

I am trying to cut my costs...

I currently have Road Runner turbo, 15mbps / 768kbps for $55 / month + taxes. The next lowest is $44.95 and provides 7mpbs/512kbps service.

It looks like I can get DSL from AT&T 6mbps/768kbps service for $36/month.

My current cable bill is ~ $110 per month. I am planning on ditching cable tv all togehter in exchange for netflix (I RARELY watch TV anyway, and what little I watch I can get from hulu or whatever).

So $110 - $55 + $15 = $70.

Now, if I pitch the cable internet for DSL: $70 - 55 + 36 = ~$51 per month. Saving me around $50.

I have never had DSL service. How does it compare to the cable I have now? How disappointed will I be if at all?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:42 am 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]

I've got 1.5 down and 1 up DSL service. Other than running it through your phone line, you probably won't be able to tell the difference between that and cable, except for the slower speed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:41 am 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

Take a look and see if Verizon offers any DSL intro deals in your area. I started with 768down/128up at $15/month, then it went up to $20/month for life or as long as they offer DSL, whichever comes first. After six months of that, as a "thank you" they upgraded my service to 3Mbdown/768up :D I'm totally satisfied and have had zero outages or complaints.

Since it's DSL, you won't have to share any cable nodes, and that's a plus for privacy and speed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:00 am 
Hired Gun
Hired Gun

I have AT&T DSL thats rated at the same DSL speeds that you are talking about and it's pretty decent. Cable in my area is actually slower then that, and more expensive. It's really up to you, what ever meets your needs and finances better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:16 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

The biggest difference in my experience was that DSL was consistent while cable varied with your neighbourhood. When I lived in the student ghetto, cable SUCKED. Everyone and their little brother was sucking up bandwidth using P2P and I never got more than a fraction of the advertised (but not guaranteed) speeds.

DSL has always given me the same speed and usually very close the advertised speed regardless of the time of day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:10 am 
Hired Gun
Hired Gun

I have never seen a drastic change in speeds using DSL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:17 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

I am going to try to follow up on this. There might be enough pros to out weight the cons (mainly the slower speed).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:06 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Cable speeds really used to depend upon how many usres where on at a given time. Nowdays that is not as big of a factor, cable can provide much more bandwidth than before that the number of people on a node at one time does not have much of an effect on your speed as it used to. Really what I would do is to call teh cable company and see if they can make you an offer close to what a DSL provider can for teh same speed, you might be surprised at what they will do to keep you business.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:15 am 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

got any other AT&T stuff like land line/cell phone service?

see if they will give a bundle discount. I get a $10 discount for having a verizon land line and verizon EVDO. every penny helps :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:14 am 
Hired Gun
Hired Gun

CharBroiled wrote:
got any other AT&T stuff like land line/cell phone service?

see if they will give a bundle discount. I get a $10 discount for having a verizon land line and verizon EVDO. every penny helps :)

Word of warning about AT&T Bundled services, they usally put you on a 2-3 year contract. Also most of the time they add services you don't need or use and it actually cost you more for whole bundle then if you just got what you needed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:41 pm 

Here's 2 more reasons DSL is better currently:
- No P2P filtering
- No bandwidth caps (at least not with Qwest)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:51 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

With TW basic 7Meg, I get 20Meg. Don't pay for the step up and just try it. I feel it's for the suckers.

Really, do they give you a new line for the step up over 7M? Nope...so what's logically happening? Nothing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:08 pm 

Chumly, it has nothing to do with logic. It has to do with actual service that is provisioned for each individual customer as well as distance between you and the DSLAM. Other factors such as line quality and noise also can affect speed with DSL.

The physical connection to your house is the same whether you have 1.5Mbps or a 20Mbps connection. What changes (depending on the DSL speed you order) is what is provisioned at the central office.

In short, if you are getting 20Mbps speeds and only paying for 7Mbps then either somebody at TW screwed up and provisioned it incorrectly or you're getting a false reading of your speed from whatever you are using to measure it. Luckily for you, it's more likely that somebody screwed up because the difference between 7 & 20Mbps is huge and pretty easy to judge with download speeds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:30 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

So, why am I paying for 7MB and getting 20MB, and I'm the furthest you can get from the node? It's not luck, and they're not missing shit because I called it in. They're not capping us users, and you get what you get. If you get 20M on a 7, they're fine with that. Cox will cap your ass.

They came by randomly and replaced my line in the yard and now get 22M.

That's fair to me. I get what I get, and that's what they suggest openly on the upgrade page. All the f-sticks on my block went to AT&T uverse for compressed media. More for me and I don't have to sacrifice my other devices.

It's just ironic that you think that I think it's logic based, when there's a technical explanation for what happens with Time Warner Cable. You say I'm lucking out and they accidentally removed the cap and I'm getting by with stolen cable. They came by, and what they told me was that it's fine. It's expected and those that pay more don't get more...it just raises the guarantee. If I payed for 14 and was getting 13, they'd act on it for free.

That's been cable since it's birth man.

Soooooooo....I suggest trying 7m basic (just as Time Warner tells us all) and then if you need more, you pay for more. Don't pay for more upfront. I tried 7M, get 22 now, and there's no need for an upgrade. Why upgrade from the beginning? Technically, there's no reason. Not with cable...it's not an ISDN or dial-up. You buy a connection's guarantee for service. If with Cox, I can understand the confusion. They don't want anyone to have anything better without upgrades. They'll go to Federal Courts before offering their services. So if you buy 7M from them, they'll give you 7M, and then rate your bandwidth and throttle your ass if they don't like it.

That stuff isn't right technically or ethically. They want your money over giving service...or upgrading their backbone. It sure as hell isn't luck.
-----------------------------------
Now Crash I believe is in an Apartment complex, which they can't guarantee ANY speeds. If you pay for 20M, they may not deliver 4M as that's the apartment's fault. In that case, you can continue to pay for 20 and get 4, but they can't fix it. Moving to 7M basic won't hurt a damned thing. You still get 4.

That's why they'll suggest the basic first and move up later. Call 'em, and if you're neutral, they'll tell you this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:19 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

warlock wrote:
Chumly, it has nothing to do with logic. It has to do with actual service that is provisioned for each individual customer as well as distance between you and the DSLAM. Other factors such as line quality and noise also can affect speed with DSL.

The physical connection to your house is the same whether you have 1.5Mbps or a 20Mbps connection. What changes (depending on the DSL speed you order) is what is provisioned at the central office.

In short, if you are getting 20Mbps speeds and only paying for 7Mbps then either somebody at TW screwed up and provisioned it incorrectly or you're getting a false reading of your speed from whatever you are using to measure it. Luckily for you, it's more likely that somebody screwed up because the difference between 7 & 20Mbps is huge and pretty easy to judge with download speeds.

i) It is science. Science is based on logic. So, incidentally, is Chumly.
ii) He has cable, not DSL. Distance from the node is not relevant to cable speeds .. only the amount of bandwidth being sucked up by others on his node.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:35 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

I have been super swamped...

I am probably going to call and ditch the turbo at least. Save myself $8 a month or whatever it is.

I am in an apartment complex at the moment. There are about 80 or so apartments. Id say maybe 5 are empties and that they all likely have cable. Only a handful have satellite.